14: SPOON: MISSED ME?

[WARNING. THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS... alcoholism, blood, cursing/offensive language, gore, vomiting, virus, infections, violence, insanity, mentions of death and weapons, mentions of kidnapping and torture, brain damage, references to sadists and traitors, "romantic references", body horror ...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED]

[RESUMING BRYCE HANSEN POV]

Wine bottle missing, window smashed, letter with sludge. What the hell? "G...?" I look over to her, my voice shaking, "Do you know what..."

"No..." She whispers and coughs, covering her mouth.

"You... okay...?" Scenty whispers and G nods.

"Yeah, just... my head tingles a bit... why don't we split jo to try and figure out what's going on?" G asks, "We- I can look for the wine, Scenty for the note, and Bryce at the broken window. Is that okay? Sorry for taking charge..."

"It's okay..." Scenty sighs and walks away, her right hand twitching badly. I walk to the broken window and inspect the glass... it looks intentionally broken. Perhaps someone broke in? How strange and scary and... And f#cking awful!

Stuck in the glass is a fishing line... hm... are they... On the rod is a name engraved, but I can't read it. Some glass on the window is indeed missing, and there is some familiar black sludge on the window sill. It's the same kind that is in the bite, and the same kind that comes out of the infecteds' mouths.

I look over to Scenty, "Hey! Can I see the note?"

"I can't get it out of my hand!" Scenty's left hand tugs on her right arm, trying to get the paper out of her clenched fist. I rip it from her and look at the paper.

Dear Bryce and the two people you live with now,

Missed me?

I'm sorry I left so soon... but I'll make it up to you... You know the wine I left? I saw that someone drank some...Have fun joining me, along with all my FRIENDS.

X marks the spot.

Sincerely,

You-know-who, (so don't hide it)

I grit my teeth... Brad... "It was Brad..." I grunt and stomp on the note, "That b#st#rd! How dare he taunt me like this! It feels so weird seeing your friend, who was your friend for so long, now abandon himself in favor of some monster's control. And the wine, based on what this message says...

..Can somehow infect people...? No..! G..! I was right to stop Scenty from having the wine... "G! The wi-"

A loud sound of vomiting interrupts me... G. is vomiting. in. my sink. Disgusting! But... I've forgotten... how king will it take for her to become catatonic? Then get even more ill? Then the worms... then lose control..?

"Are you.. OK, G?" Scenty whispers.

G nods, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, "Y... yeah... I just... don't feel very well.." She smiles sadly, "But it'll be OK! We just need to stop the virus, so... I'll be fine... I'll be okay... We'll, not really, but not like okay okay,  but... I mean-"

"We get it, we get it," I sigh and hug myself. F#cking weak, Bryce. F#cking weak... Weak...

"Also, um... I found nothing," G shrugs.

"I found a fishing rod stuck in the glass and black sludge.." I whisper, "Like the kind Junior used to vomit and the kind you just did..."

"I found the note... I couldn't read it so... Bryce did," Scenty looks at me, one eyes but more cloudy than the other, and the replaced glass in the back of her head a painful reminder of what happened.