23

Xia happily eats Peking duck and rice while watching some Jiang Musicians play some songs. Though she did miss hearing her favorite music on Youtube, she really enjoyed the pretty melodies from the bamboo flutes.

Yanli sits to her right while Wei Wuxian sits on the opposite side of the hall at his own tiny table. Fengmiang sat in the front overlooking the room. The only people missing were Madame Yu and Jiang  Cheng. 

Xia looks at Yanli.

"Jie Jie, where's your mom?"

"Oh, she said she already ate when I asked her to come...though she did seem upset about something"

Xia looks up at Jiang Fengmian who seemed to be deep in thought. She frowns.
'Maybe this has something to do with why Jiang Cheng seemed upset. Mayne his parents were fighting again.'

Xia looks at her food.

It would be rude to interfere with marital stuff but dammit it sucks. I have to do something about this soon.

Fengmian suddenly speaks, getting Xia's attention.

"Oh, I meant to tell you, Xia. Clan leader Nies younger brother left you something."

He put a hand up and signaled for a man to come up with a silver box. Xia looks at it with curiosity.

"Nie Huaisang sent this?" She takes the lid off and gasps softly when she sees the painted fan that lies inside. She picks it up and examines it in awe. On one side, there are mountains and clouds and on the other is the Chinese character for beauty.

"Eh? What's this for?"

Xia looks to her left to see Wei Wuxian next to her with a suspicious look at the fan. Xia purses her lips.

"Move weirdo, it's just a gift."

Wei Wuxian mirrors her expression.

"Why would he need to give you a gift? It's not even your birthday!"

Xia smirks and jumps up.

"Someone sounds a bit jealous."

Wei Wuxian opens his mouth, speechless. His cheeks tinted pink. He crosses his arms and laughs, a bit too loud.

"What? me? J-jealous?HAH, I've got plenty of girls wanting to give me gifts!"

Xia huffs.

"Like I care!"

Wei Wuxian smirks.

"Oh, you do."

This makes Xia laugh, a little bit too loud.

"HAH, not in a million years!"

"Heh, Admit it, Xia! You want me all to yourself!"

Xia lunges forward to grab him, only for Wei Wuxian to jump away cackling and taunting the shorter girl as she begins to chase him around the room.

"WEI WUXIAN?!"

While they argue back and forth, Fengmian and Yanli exchange glances before smiling knowingly.

>>>

Later that night, Xia pouted up at the ceiling.

"Wei Wuxian, you dummy. I used to beat up boys like you back in my world."

'Yuck, I really hate this slow-burn romance shit.' A manly voice said, seemingly out of thin air, making Xia sit up in shock.

"W-what the-who said that!?"