Breaking Point

Mahri's POV:

I didn't stop running or pulling his hand until we were at the restaurant's front door. Quickly, I spun around to face him and kissed him on the cheek, glancing over his shoulder.

"Is that it," I asked, pointing at a tall building, "The hotel you were hiding out in?"

"Yes. Third floor. It should have been one of the emptiest nights of my life, but the thought of you gave me comfort. I imagined what it would be like for us to be here and as I watched couples come and go, I wondered what kind of couple we would be. I sat in that hotel room and imagined you in my arms like we are now. I wondered what you would feel like, what you would smell like, what your lips would taste like." He pauses and kisses my cheek, and a shy smile brushes his lips. "The reality of you is greater than any reality I could imagine. Most people never get the chance to see their dreams fulfilled. I do not take it for granted that you are the fulfillment of mine. There is no way I can deserve this love or life I see for us." He hangs his head low. His smile still holds a little sadness at the memory of who he was and the shame that bears.  He shouldn't feel shameful.  He is wonderful, incredible.  His love for me is overwhelming.

"That night," I begin as I lift his head to meet my eyes, "...was the first night I held out hope that I would meet you someday. Before that, I was afraid that what I felt was unrealistic and that you never gave me much thought. I haven't really had the best of luck in relationships and I never felt like someone understood me before you. I never felt like I deserved any good thing, really. You were the best thing I could think of. That night, I dreamed. I thought about what we would be like as a couple, as partners, as lovers. I imagined the happiness and peace that would accompany being by your side and yet, the reality is so, so much better.  You say that you are undeserving, but you have no idea how undeserving I am. You have no idea how wonderful you are. I can't believe that you are here, that we are.."

He interrupts my thoughts with a kiss. This one is passionate and unrelenting. I grab his collar and pull his body close to mine. He searches for my waist and pulls me even closer until there is no space between us. We are frantic, arms moving fast and all over each other's bodies. This is not a romantic moment. This kiss is uncontrolled, sloppy, and electric.

Suddenly, car lights flash on us. We pull apart. Half of me is embarrassed and the other half has no shame and is a little disappointed that he pulled away. Jake is flustered, however. His hands are on my hips, but our bodies are no longer touching, He is breathing deeply, his eyes dark and still locked on mine

"I'm sorry, I..." he begins, I put my finger on his mouth to stop him.

"There is nothing to apologize for." I let him know, rubbing my hand along his cheek. I turn to look one more time at the third floor of the hotel across the street, glad that we got to meet and have this moment.

"Shall we?" he says and opens the door of the restaurant for me. I link my arms through his.

The restaurant is oddly empty but overtly beautiful. Asian lamps and cherry blossoms make the building both inviting and intimate. There is no one inside. That was strange for a Friday.

"Hello, I assume that you are Mr. Muller. We are ready for you." The waiter starts to lead us to a table in the back.

We are directed to a table with one booth, the bench facing the window. Candles and lamps are lit outside and a giant garden and koi pond are open to view. It is simply breathtaking.

"I hope everything is to your specifications?" The waiter asks.

"Absolutely. Thank you so much," Jake responds as we get settled in the booth.