Priorities

I lay on the couch, her in my arms, practically on top of me. We are so intertwined, I can not tell where she ends and I begin. I would have it no other way. Nothing happened in our early afternoon. We have enjoyed spending time together and flirting, but I am waiting until tonight and the surprise I have set up for us to do anything more, but we have lost track of time.

She is asleep, her snoring makes this evident. How I love that snore. It means that she trusts me. It means she is comfortable in my arms. I want a lifetime of these sweet moments, dancing in the rain, sitting by the fire. I want days of eating grilled cheese sandwiches while holding hands and watching her punch monsters in the face. I also want to know her in all of the carnal ways that one does. I need her badly, in the most intimate of ways. That is why, in the warmth of her apartment, with her in my arms, she had fallen asleep and I had forgotten all about the constructs of time as I let my mind wander to her and our love.

The truth is, I don't want our first time to be a trivial matter, it can't be. I love her too much, our love is too important for me. I have avoided being alone with Mahri for the last couple of weeks until we can make our first time together special. I know if I am with her alone for any length of time that I wouldn't be able to resist her charms. Dan had been helping me with a project and I hoped that it would help make the night stay in our memories for many years to come.

"Shoot," Mahri suddenly sits up from the couch that we had been resting on. I suppose she had fallen asleep and I was so deep in thought, I didn't know the time. Quite frankly, time slipped by whenever she was in my arms.

"We are late. I just got a text from Jessy."

At that moment I get a text from Betty.

Betty: It is freezing out here, and there is no sign of you two. Put some clothes on, climb out of bed, and come join us.

"Oh no," Mahri curses under her breath. Jessy is worried about us. How long have we been asleep?"

It had been two hours. It felt like 20 minutes.

I type a quick response to Betty.

Jake: My clothes are on, thank you very much. We will be there in ten minutes. Find something to warm you up. Besides Phil.

We quickly hop in the car and drive to the Christmas Tree Farm, just outside of town. It is small but quaint. A few shops line the outskirts and trucks drive through the mountains dropping off people up the mountain where they can cut their own trees. Families are everywhere. When we get there, we find the four waiting with hot cocoas in hand, holding them out for us. Mahri eagerly grabs hers.

"Thanks for showing up," Dan teases. Jessy smiles. They had been arm in arm when we drove up. I am so excited to see where they end up.

Phil smirks, "I don't even want to know what you two were up to."

Betty interlocks his arm "You know what they were up to. Do you really want the details?"

Phil shakes his head, "Nope, not at all."

Mahri blushes. "I don't know what you all think, but we fell asleep."

"We have all been late before, but not all for innocent reasons." I look directly at Phil and Betty. I am not mad I expected the teasing and we did kind of deserve it. I don't want Mahri to be embarrassed anymore. "Should we get on to this tree business?"

Mahri kissed me on the cheek as Dan handed me a saw.

"Yes, let's go," Jessy says, hugging Mahri.

Betty walks up to the ladies, "I am just excited to see those men of ours do some outdoor manly things. They are getting too soft. Besides, it gives my imagination something to work on later tonight." The girls continue to talk and laugh. I love seeing the three of them together. It is the best of both of our worlds. The admiration that they share is admirable and heartwarming. I never thought my best friend would have girls that were so close to her.