Holding Tight

See the Author's Note at the end of the chapter...

Mahri's POV:

The roads had been cleared and I had, regretfully, returned home. Work was busy since we had missed so many days due to the storm. All the overtime was worth the five days we had in absolute bliss. All of the torture that has come from going back to normal life is worth it for those memories.

I pour coffee into my half of the "his" and "hers" mugs that Jake had bought me and drink it fast. I have to admit, I am not the coffee snob that Jake is. You see, I can, and often do, drink coffee from the gas station, from the pot at work that has been sitting there unattended since morning, and from my old coffee maker that I can program the night before. I save the robot, which I call Al and greet with a hello every morning, for when Jake is over because that machine is intimidating. He says I can reprogram it, but it feels weird to do so now that I have named it. So, I drank a cup of coffee that Jake would have thrown down the sink as he shook his head.

It is early to head into the office, but I hope to leave early as well. I have to pick up Jake's Christmas present, which I am so excited about, and put some last-minute touches on his gift. As much as I desire to be with him, I am glad I have a few more days to get everything ready.

I remember that I needed to text Dan. He would be the one to help me get Jake's gift.

MC: Dan, are you ready for the delivery tonight?

Dan: Not even a good morning for your old pal?

MC: Hey there, Danny Boy. How are you?

Dan: Much better now that I know you aren't just using me.

MC: Never, that is Jessy's job. ;)

Dan: Cute. Yes. I am ready. See you tonight?

MC: 5:30?

Dan: See you then.

MC: Hey, tell Jessy Good Morning for me. Thank you for bing who you are.

I put away my phone, more than a little jealous that Jessy and Dan get to wake up together. I miss Jake, even though I only came back to my apartment two days ago. Sleep has not been easy for me without him. I smile knowing that I will see him for a few hours tonight.

I hope that it won't be too long before I can wake up to him every morning, not too long before that cabin belongs to both of us. I am lost in my own thoughts when I hear that a message came through on my phone.

Jake: Open the door...

Without a thought, I fly across the room to open the door. Jake rushes through the door and places the coffee he brought me on the table. Then wraps his arm around me tightly, one on my back, the other in my hair and proceeds to kiss me soundly. My back is against the wall, he is flush against me. This kiss is fast and deep, a mix of desire and hunger for each other.

He pulls back, smiling and sighing deeply, "That is much better. I missed you."

I smile back, "Jake, it was only two days." I protest, but he knows I feel the same.

"Two long, lonely days," he pouts and lowers his voice as he meets my eyes. They are cerulean and calm. He is wearing a casual shirt and some dark jeans, his usual attire for work and casual for most, but to me, he is the finest-dressed man on the planet. I am stunned by all of him, his kiss, his appearance, his love.

His grip is loosening on my hips and I already hate it.

"What are you doing here? Not that it isn't a pleasant surprise..." I ask trying to keep him close for a bit longer.