Old Friend, Good Advice

Warnings: language

She barged in the door and before I knew what was happening, she had me in a bear hug so tight that I could barely breathe. I had missed her.

"Hello," I grunt out. She was squeezing so tightly that it was hard to form words.

She backs up and punches me in the arm. "That's what you get for being away so long."

She was surprisingly strong.

Betty is always honest. She speaks her mind. She doesn't let anyone get the best of her. She doesn't abide by fools. If Betty is your friend, she will defend you, care for you and help you in any way that she can. She is the definition of loyal. And she is a knockout, absolutely gorgeous. Today, she is dressed like a 1940's pinup model, her platinum hair in tight curls close to her face. Her black and red dress hugs her curves in all of the right ways.

"What happened to you," I say. "When I left you were into baggy pants and tie-dye shirts. Now, this?" I say, realizing how much has changed in four years.

"You like?" She asks giving me a silly wink.

"Yeah, Betty. You look incredible."

"Right answer. Thank you." She responds.

Betty has no shame. She knows she is a prize. She believes in herself.

I smile. "I see the years haven't dulled your sense of self-worth."

"Nope. What about you? Are you still the same shy boy that you used to be?"

I look at my hands. "I think that would be accurate."

I blush though I don't know why. Betty knows me and I have nothing to hide from her. Maybe it is simply her knowledge of me after all of this time. Or maybe it is that a large part of me is still that shy little boy. She sits down, immediately at home in my presence. She is family to me.

"I would offer you coffee, but I have...misplaced the coffee pot." I pause. "I can offer you some water, or..."

"Maybe later," she interrupts, "I want to hear the reason that you were away from me for so long."

I sit down next I her, ready to answer her question when a memory of Mahri comes to mind. Twenty questions, the intimacy of that moment, of holding her in my arms. I am about to get carried away in my thoughts but shake my head and turn my focus back to Betty and the question at hand.

We talk for quite a while, I explain why I was running and couldn't contact her for all of this time.

"Frank is a piece of shit. I never trusted that guy," she states. Clearly upset. "I can't believe he was willing to sacrifice your freedom for his."

"It's fine. It wasn't fair and things were hard for a while, but it led me to this place at this moment where I can appreciate all the things around me. I notice everything that I took for granted before."

"Wow, an optimistic Jake. Never thought I'd see that. Your mom would be happy. She would love to see you embracing a happy future and not expecting the worst." A soft smile crosses her lips which are dyed red with an exquisite shade of red lipstick.

"I have learned that things can get better and that maybe I can have a happier future than that past has shown me," I confess.

Her smile is deeper this time. It is genuine and resolved as if she understands that my soul is finally healing. Being around Betty made me happy like I was a kid again.

"What's her name?" She interrupts my thoughts.

"Betty, I want to know what you have been up to for four years. This isn't all about me."