Chapter 17 - Surprise

Katerina's POV

Out of all mornings, I was hoping that I would be able to sleep in later than normal, but apparently, being woken up by my brothers is my new normal. The guys have taken it upon themselves to unknowingly ruin one of the best nights of sleep that I've had this week. Then again, having sprinted for two hours last night before I went to bed might have had something to do with my dreamless sleep. Although, in hindsight, I can't fault the guys for their excitement about today.

Even though I'm currently being woken up at the butt crack of dawn by my rowdy brothers trying to do god knows what when I could have easily slept for another hour or two, the only positive is that I didn't wake up to a nightmare this morning like I normally do. Instead, I woke up to someone bumping into my furniture after having slightly banged my door open while something noisily clattered to the floor as the group tried to be 'stealthy' from the sounds of the conversation that followed.

Prying one eye open for a moment, I glance at the floor to see a new stack of books that they must have been carrying scattered across the floor. Before I roll over, I spare a glance at my balcony windows to see that the morning's first rays are only just beginning to light up the foggy sky. Groaning, I pull the covers tightly around my body in an attempt to fall back into the darkness that sleep offers.

"Shh, idiota! You're going to wake her up!" Santiago whisper-yells as I hear them walking further into the room, trying to find all the books as they crawl around on the floor.

"I am not," I hear Christiano comment indignantly as he slams a stack of books on my dresser.

Of course, it's Christiano. - mental eye roll

Without even looking at him, I can already imagine his pouting face, which gains him no sympathy from the other boys, as he probably crosses his arms in fake annoyance as they roll their eyes at him. "If anyone is going to wake her up, it will be you with all your shouting!" He snaps back at his twin.

"Will you two shut up already?" Lorenzo whispers annoyance clear as day in his voice as two loud smacking sounds echo throughout the room.

"Ow! What was that for?" Christiano whines.

"Don't ever do that again, fratello," Santiago snaps in a warning tone.

"Ugh," I groan. "Five more minutes, I beg of you," I plead, pulling my comforter over my head as I snuggle further into the soft furry mass lying beside me under the blankets.

Honestly, it always confuses me how Jethro likes to sleep under the covers. Mostly I worry about him not getting enough air, although I suppose that he isn't affected by it, as I remember how one night the twins fed the dogs their leftover burritos. Yeah, not gonna lie, that was a pretty bad night that night as I had to leave my balcony doors open to fumigate the bedroom.

"Come on, bambina. It's time to start the day," Anthony cheers in a way to cheerful tone at this ungodly hour.

Releasing another groan, I pull my pillow over my head, trying to hold it in place. However, my attempts at blocking out my brothers don't last long as someone rips the pillow from my grasp and another one of the boys plops down on the bed.

Unfortunately, this act quickly gives everyone an adrenaline rush as whoever my bed floppier was is almost attacked by Jethro, who was almost squished in the process. Seconds later, I hear King take up a defensive stance to join in the fray as he growls threateningly from the foot of my bed, having abandoned his dog bed that lies over by my closet door.

Sitting up quickly, I throw the blanket off of my face and snap my hand out, grabbing hold of Jethro's collar seconds before he can bite a chunk out of Christiano's face, who then quickly scrambles off the bed.