Chapter 9: Two sides of the coin

I was casually strolling on my way to the KFP. The streets had only a handful of people, including me, walking around. There was a deafening silence as I walked. The only thing that broke that silence were the papers flying in the occasional breeze.

The silence was once again broken, but this time, it was from my phone. Someone was calling me.

"Hello?" I picked up.

"Kyou, I need to tell you something really bad," my sister called me. The speaker's voice was recognizable enough for me to know it was my sister.

"What is it?" I asked.

"We just lost 11 million yen, due to some unknown device over there in Takano," my sister reported.

"11 MILLION!!?? That's a lot of money. Whoever owns that device will be punished," I remarked. "Where was the device located?"

"Professor pointed it to Takano's Grand Hotel. The money was taken around 12 AM," my sister answered.

When I heard Takano's Grand Hotel and 12 AM, I knew exactly what happened to that 11 million yen. I realized in an instant that I had made one of, if not, the biggest mistakes in my entire life. I entered my sister's agency's PIN and used it to save those girls in the auction, resulting to loss of 11 million yen.

"Kyou? You still there?" My sister asked. I guessed I spaced out a little.

"If you can call me back, that's cool. I'm off to work, okay? Bye!" I immediately hang up. I could already imagine how much trouble I am in if they found out.

####

When I entered the KFP, there were a handful of people sitting at the counter.

"Kyou! Just in time. C'mon help me out," Kiara called me over.

I rushed into the changing room and quickly changed into my KFP uniform. I stormed out of the changing room and headed over to the kitchen to cook up the orders of the customers.

After what felt like an hour, all the customers left with satisfied looks on their faces. It was finally the first time I was able to do my job.

####

I went back to the alleyway where the girl was. She was putting back her clothes on, meaning she just finished with her "business".

I jumped down from the building I was perched atop. This caused the girl to jump a bit when she heard the thud from my descent.

"H-hey! Would you stop that and just enter the alley normally!?" The girl scolded me.

"Force of habit," I uttered. "Anyway, about that auction thing you heard about, it was real."

"Should I be surprised?" The girl replied. "I care none about what happens in there."

"So you don't care about the girls that were sold them, almost all of them being minors?" I asked.

The girl didn't reply immediately. It looks like she was thinking of a response. She heaved a sigh and turned to face me.

"When I still could breathe through my gills and still had a complete tail, I was brought in at a really young age," the girl answered. "So do you think selling minors for whatever reason will make me care?"

I remain silent.

"So tell me, why are you really here? If it's to not have sex, then get out!" The girl raised her voice.