Chapter 11: The side job

"Kindly elaborate on your statement?" Ame tells me.

"Do you know the Kishita Clan?" I ask Ame.

"What about them?" Ame replies with another question.

"They're here, specifically a member of the Clan," I answered.

"So?" Ame asked.

"What do you mean 'so'?" I raised my tone.

"So what if a member of an infamous crime family is here? It doesn't explain the massacre in the bar, and why you were there," Ame responded.

"I was after someone," I repeated my previous answer.

"Then why the massacre?" Ame asked.

"They were with the guy I was after."

"So that justifies butchering those people?"

I looked away in silence.

Ame glared daggers right into my very eyes. But I still remained composed and serious. It was a tough question to answer, and there weren't any right answers to it, as far as I can see.

"So you admit to the mass murder of those people?" Ame asks. "You silence speaks volumes, Kyou."

"I do..." I answer. "But they attacked me. They shot at me."

"If they shot at you, then why are you still here, and not bleeding away in some alley? How are you not dead yet?" Ame asked.

"You saw the bent-up bullets. I'm sure a detective like you wouldn't overlook such detail," I said.

"So that was your doing? Are you invincible or something?" Ame wondered.

"Pull your gun and shoot me."

"W-why?"

"If I said I were invincible, would you immediately believe me?"

Ame pauses and looks away to process my response. Ame looks back at me with a reluctant look. It seems she has made her decision.

Ame pulls out her revolver and points it at my head. I noticed a bit of trembling from Ame's hand.

I leaned in close to Ame. The gun's barrel was only a few meters away from touching my forehead.

"I adjusted for that shaky hand of yours," I uttered. "Unless you want to intentionally miss..."

I grabbed Ame's wrist so it was steady on my forehead only. Ame gasped from the sudden action and got more anxious. Her anxiousness only increased as she saw the determination and fearlessness in my eyes.

"A-are you sure this'll work?" Ame nervously asked.

"If I die, no one will bother to look for me anyway," I uttered in a monotone voice. My expression still unchanged, still staring directly into Ame's eyes.

Ame began sweating. I could see little droplets on her face as she still had the gun out. Her trembling had intensified. I could also hear her racing heartbeat from outside.

Ame closed her eyes and started to pull on the trigger. Finally, it was time for me to prove my point.

"I-I can't!!" Ame shouted. She sprung her finger back, away from the gun's trigger. It was a few milineters away from setting off. "Okay, fine, I believe you. You're invincible. But that still doesn't excuse you from the massacre at the bar."

"They attacked first, Ame," I argued.

"I don't think reason for self-defense covers a disemboweled corpse!" Ame rebutted.