iii. the poe cup apology

chapter three!•••

chapter three!
•••

REGRET WAS AN EMOTION THAT KAMDEN USUALLY DIDN'T WASTE TIME WITH.

She knew that it was just something that lead to pointless worrying and fretting over little things that never actually mattered. If somebody said or did something that she took offense to, she reminded herself that they probably didn't belong in her life anyways.

And if it was something that she did or said that she was regretting, she probably meant it and couldn't take it back anyways. Regret is a waste of space in one's brain.

But all day long, even as she tried to focus on her classwork, she could't tear her mind away from Wednesday nor ease the remorsful tug on her heartstrings when she thought about how they left things. She couldn't seem to let it go as easily as she had with other things in the past.

So, once the final bell had rung, she found herself marching through the large, seemingly endless halls of Nevermore, looking for the one person that had been plaguing her mind since they had met.

Stepping out into the chilled autumn air, Kamden looked around the usually buslting school grounds, only to find it void of all people. Furrowing her brow, she racked her brain for a reason that the area might've been vacated, only to find out that it wasn't completly abandoned when somebody bumped into her from behind.

She faced the stranger, who was rushing to apologize. "I'm so sorry! I'm in a rush to get to the Poe Cup, and I'm behind-" The small, fluffy-haired boy with glasses blurted.

"What's your name?" Kamden cut him off, and the boy blinked at her for a moment.

"Uh...Eugene."

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Kamden. I was gonna go watch the race too." Kamden lied, proud of herself for improving her 'playing along' skills. "Wanna walk over there together?"

"Sure!" He was eager, and hurried to lead the way down to the lake. Kamden was grateful for his leadership, because she had no idea where the lake was, and had completly forgotten about the Poe Cup entirely.

"I'm gonna go look for someone, I'll see you around, Eugene." She informed him once the two of them had reached the bank, which was packed with a large crowd of students. She waited for a nod from her new friend, and then she was off, only one thing, or rather, person on her mind.

It didn't take long to find the raven-haired girl, Kamden being able to spot those two braids and mystifying aura through the mob. She pushed past some spectators until she stepped out into the open, approaching the lapping waves, up to the boat where Wednesday was seated, an oar in hand.

"Hey, Wednesday? Can I talk to you?" Kamden tucked her arms over her stomach, suddenly feeling exposed, like everyone's eyes were on her.

"I thought I told you not to do that." Wednesday glared up at her through her bangs.