v. the b word

chapter five!•••

chapter five!
•••

KAMDEN ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THE FIRST TIME SHE WOULD BE TIED UP AND BLINDFOLDED WOULD BE IN VERY DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCES.

But here she was, in an old, cob-web infested library, sitting on the hard floor with a itchy potato sack over her head.

"Take their bags off."

The voice was familiar, but Kamden couldn't quite place it. Light shot into her face as the bag was pulled off of her head, and she squinted against the fluorescents.

As her eyes adjusted to the light, she began to look around the room, frantically, for any sign of Wednesday. She didn't have to look far however, finding that the raven-haired teen was tied up right beside her, also tossed onto the floor like some kind of war prisoner.

The two girls were surrounded by shadowy figures, and Kamden could see that they wore long capes with hoods, concealing their identities. One of the mysterious kidnappers pulled the bag off of Wednesday as well, leaving her hair all disheveled and face looking angry.

"Wednesday, you okay?" Kamden hissed.

"Stop talking." A disguised voice rang out. "Who dares breach our inner sanctum?"

Ignoring Kamden's question, Wednesday had her full attention on the figures standing around them. "You can take the mask off, Bianca." She said, unfazed.

One of the hooded figures huffed frustratedly, slipping off their hood and removing their masquerade mask from covering their eyes, revealing that the person underneath was none other than Bianca Barclay, the school's resident queen bee.

The others slowly began to follow Bianca's lead, revealing their identities one by one, uncovering Nevermore student after Nevermore student, the threat growing smaller the more familiar faces were presented.

"Wait - I preferred you with it on." Wednesday joked dryly, and Kamden bit down on the inside of her cheek to stifle her laughter.

"Do you guys like sneaking around or something?"

Kamden turned her head, spotting Xavier in the corner. She had to force herself not to scoff at him as he went on talking, "How did you get down here?"

"Rowen showed me." Wednesday was quick with a reply. "Left pocket."

Xavier crossed the room, stepping up to the two imprisoned girls, reaching down to grab the weathered page from Wednesday's jacket pocket.

"I tracked the watermark to the Poe statue." She told them as he looked over the drawing. "Then I solved the riddle."

"And I helped." Kamden nodded sharply, giving the cloaked students a hard glare.

Wednesday scoffed quietly. "Hardly."

"Excuse me?" Kamden whipped her head to the side to look at the offender. "Oh I'm sorry, it was kind of hard when you take complete control of everything and don't even let me get a word in."