iv. potato sack over the head

chapter four!•••

chapter four!
•••

THE MUSH ON HER BREAKFAST TRAY WAS STARING BACK AT HER, MAKING KAMDEN FEEL EVER SO SLIGHTLY ILL.

She was happy for a distraction when she saw that Wednesday was approaching her table, with an extra smiley Eugene on her heels.

"Hey," Kamden pushed her tray away from her and faced the two. "I didn't know you guys were friends."

"I don't have any friends." Wednesday was quick with her response. "Eugene and I are simply in extracurriculars together."

"Hi Kamden." Eugene piped up.

"Hi." She smiled politely at him, but immediately turned back to Wednesday. "I know that something's wrong if you're approaching me and starting a conversation."

"Hospitality isn't my strong suit, what can I say?" Wednesday's teeth were almost gritted as she spoke, and Kamden knew that she was getting on her nerves. She put her hands up in the air in surrender.

After a pause, Wednesday spoke again, "Eugene, give us a moment, please."

"Yeah, of course." He nodded quickly. "I'll see you at beekeeping later?"

Wednesday nodded briskly, and he walked off towards the front of the cafeteria. Wednesday slid into the seat right next to Kamden, who found herself tensing up as their arms briefly brushed against one another.

"I found something." Wednesday spoke quietly into Kamden's ear. "Meet me in the courtyard at eight."

"Got it." Kamden whispered back, feeling a cold rush of air as Wednesday stood up again, the warmth that was shared between them gone in an instant.

"Goodbye, Kamden." were Wednesday's last words, before the dark haired girl walked out of the room. Kamden watched her go, a smile playing on her lips.

"I didn't know that you and Wednesday knew each other."

Kamden jumped out of her daydream when Eugene approached her table once again, sitting down across from her.

"We've spoken a couple of times." She shrugged, trying to shake away the tingling sensation that was vibrating through her chest, her mind replaying shadows of Wednesday even as she stared at Eugene.

"Oh, okay." He looked down at the tabletop for a moment, before he pulled something out of his jacket pocket, placing it right in front of Kamden's food tray.

She moved her glass of orange juice out of the way so that she could see the foreign object better. The bracelet caught the reflection of the sun, and its shiny silver texture looked beautiful in the early morning light.

Kamden's heart skipped a beat before it got caught in her throat, her stomach sinking. Eugene was all too eager to explain the gesture, all while she felt herself growing sick.