xii. grave digging

chapter twelve!•••

chapter twelve!
•••

IT HAD BEEN EXACTLY EIGHT DAYS AND SEVEN NIGHTS SINCE THE RAVE'N.

Which also meant that it had been eight days and seven nights since Kamden let all of her feelings burst out of her like a powerful ocean wave, and since Eugene was mauled by the monster while the two girls argued.

The small boy had miraculously survived the attack, but had fallen into a coma and was currently hooked up to many tubes and machines, unconscious in a hospital bed.

Kamden hadn't spoken to Wednesday since that night. They had been dodging each other, even going as far to avoid eye contact when they walked past each other in the halls.

Kamden didn't know if she was the one who was was afraid to face Wednesday, since all of her feelings were now on the table. Or if it was the raven-haired girl who was afraid, unsure of what to say or how to move forward after the heavy night.

It was now Parents' Weekend, an event that Nevermore hosted every quarter, where the parents of the students got to visit the school and see where their children spend all of their time. It was a day that Kamden never looked forward to.

"Kammy dear, you haven't touched your food." Her mother, Miriam Palmer, motioned across the communal table at her daughter's untouched plate.

"I'm not hungry." Kamden muttered, slouching further down in her seat, feeling the eyes of the others at the table baring into her.

"Well," her mother chuckled. "That's a first." She nudged the woman next to her, another witch, unrelated to the Palmer's, looking for a shared laugh. But the dark eyed woman offered no such reaction, simply continuing her judgmental stare right at Kamden.

The read haired teen turned her head, looking across the courtyard for the girl that she had been avoiding for the past week. She caught Wednesday's eyes, but quickly darted them away, the ache in her chest upon seeing her was too much to bear.

Suddenly, the large doors to the outer area were thrown open, and a group of gruff looking men and woman stomped inside, lead by Sheriff Galpin.

Kamden narrowed her eyes suspiciously at the intruders, and Principal Weems approached to ask what they were doing there. She was brushed to the side, however, and the sheriff marched right up to Wednesday's table.

"Gomez Addams." He called.

Wednesday's frightened father stood from his seat, turned around slowly and forced a smile onto his face. "How can I help you, Sheriff?"