xvii. under arrest

chapter sixteen!•••

chapter sixteen!
•••

THE GIRLS WENT BACK TO Wednesday's dorm as soon as Thing was cleaned up enough to be transferred. Wednesday refused to let him walk on his own, keeping him on top of her open palms as they left.

"We should go to Principal Weems about the attack." Kamden mentioned as they slipped into the dorm.

Wednesday scoffed, not even facing her. "If I never have to speak to that woman again then I would be slightly less pessimistic."

"Is that so?" Kamden lifted a brow.

Despite the icy glare that she shot her, Wednesday also had a playful grin ghosting over her lips. "Only slightly."

Kamden raised her arms up in surrender. "Of course."

A comfortable silence fell over them, and Kamden watched Wednesday carefully as she placed Thing on her bed, telling him to rest. Kamden felt her heart melt inside of her and she had to force herself to look away.

"So, what have you been up to since we last spoke?" Wednesday asked, turning to face the red-head, oblivious to the fond twinkle in her eye and light pink glow on her cheeks.

Kamden cleared her throat, rearanging her expression to a more casual one. "I went back to those trash cans outside of the school, next to the threatening message burned into the hill."

"Why?" Wednesday screwed up her nose.

"Because I lit them on fire. On accident. That only happens when I'm feeling some kind of strong emotion. And I wasn't." Kamden told her. "It was weird."

"Sounds like it." Wednesday's tone was prompting her to continue.

So Kamden did, "My family crest was on the back of one of the cans. In ash. Which means it appeared when they caught."

"I'm not following."

"I've had several relatives go here, to Nevermore, so I went to the Nightshades library. I knew there had to be something there. Something about my family and that crest." Kamden sucked in a deep breath, the words spilling out of her too fast for her to breathe properly. "I found a book with the crest. It was my great-grandmother's diary. She worked with Joseph Crackstone."

Wednesday's face grew impossibly paler. "W-what?" She stammered.

"She was his maid." Kamden went on. "But she hated what he was doing to outcasts. She wanted to stop him. She was going to poison him."

"I like her already." Wednesday loosened up.

"She never got to though." Kamden's shoulders slumped. "He killed her before she could."

"Just another reason to hate that animal." Wednesday scowled.

"Her name was Annabella. I wonder if I ever would've met her." Kamden wondered out loud.