Chapter 1

Everyone leaves for a reason, just as everyone loves for a reason. I just want to be someone's reason.

I want to be the reason he put's on a seatbelt while driving because he want's to come back home to me, I want to be the reason he drops by Starbucks so he could get me my favorite drink or the reason he smiles knowing I will be at home waiting for him after a long day of work.

And maybe someday I will be the reason and someone will be my reason but for now I'll settle for what I have. Which is the woman with fiery red hair entering my office with a box of donuts.

"And what exactly are you doing in my office at nearly seven pm" I ask giving my best friend Scarlet a look. Scoffing she sits opposite to me on the office seat and places the large box with chocolate donuts in front of me. Grinning I drop my pen and grab onto one before the box is even entirely placed on the desk.

"Well technically you should have left for home an entire hour ago but wait, you have an ungrateful workaholic bastard in the room next to yours that you call your boss." She deadpans.

Scarlet is a activist and she loves to express herself. Hence the red hair and the reason she's so blunt. The bonus, She hates rich people specifically my boss but I don't think there's a single person on this planet who hates him more then me. We have been best friends since freshman year in college and now eight years later she is the one person who knows me better than anyone else.

Shrugging I dig deeper into my donut as she looks at me in exasperation. It drives her absolutely insane how much I love my job even though Mr. Dolivo is absolutely infuriating when it comes to his work and their wasn't one day in the past seven months since i've gone home on time which is technically six pm.

"What's the reason for these?" I ask pointing towards the dunkin donuts box that rests on my table besides the sales division documents i'm supposed to double check and leave on my bosses desk before the nights over.

"Your the first secretary that's lasted seven months with lucifer's reincarnation, this is for celebrating." She replies while crossing one leg over the other.

"Okay but how do you know that?"

"Damen from technicals." I hmm in response while picking up my highlighter and getting to work again. For another thirty minutes we both just sit in silence as I do my work and my best friend sits opposite to me listening to her songs with one side of her earphone in her ear and the other dangling alongside her hoodie's string.

"I'll be back in a few." I tell her as I grab the file and make my way towards my office's door. I open my door and step outside. All it takes is twenty steps and I'm in front of my bosses door. Raising my hand up I knock on the door and hear a muffled 'come in' from the other side.

Slowly I open the door to come face to face with the glass wall that out looks the city lights. Stepping deeper into the door I place the file on his desk.

"The division sales records sir." I say in a meek voice. Slowly he raises his head from the folder he was so engrossed in and his green eyes settle on my brown eyes. There is no doubt that Nicoli Dolivo is a handsome man but holy hell his eyes. The magazines and news articles don't do him enough justice. The sharp jawline that no doubt has broken many young woman's hearts. too bad he dosn't have one himself.

Quickly I look away. I can practically hear him smirking.

"That'll be all Ms. Adams and please it's been seven months. I'm not as bad as they say no need to avert your gaze like i'm an animal that might pounce at any moment." Wincing I say.

"N-no sir it's not that I-i i."

"Relax Ms. Adams. I was just teasing. Please go home it's already pretty late." He says turning back to his folders. I nod my head mumbling a small 'Goodnight, sir'. God this man would have let me make a fool out of myself if he didn't have work to get back to.

Shutting the office door behind me I make my way back to my office and grab my bag before telling Scarlet to drop me off at my place.

My car has been at the workshop after it broke down on my way to the office and since it was the only time I was late to work Mr. Dolivo let it pass with a strict warning. My best friend has been dropping me off at my place for an entire week now refusing to let me call a cab since we both live at a twelve minute distance.

I open the car door and slide inside just as Scarlet asks.

"You still with that dofus. What was his name....um-Mars right?" I chuckle at her childish antics.

"Yes scarlet I'm still with my one year boyfriend Mark and you really need to start pronouncing his name right."

"I still don't like him." She grumbles as I roll my eyes at her.

I've been dating Mark since I met him at the grocery store a year ago. We were friends at the start and even then Scarlet didn't like him but he was of great help when I moved into my apartment. Getting help to move my stuff out from Scarlet's apartment when her boyfriend proposed to her. 

We started dating just a few months ago and it's been..nice. He's sweet and a little carefree but the only thing missing is the sparks. But i'm happy. Things are easy and I like that.

Bidding my best friend good buy I make my way to the elevator and then up towards my apartment. Taking out the keys from my bag I open my front door and enter.

The first thing I see is the letter sitting on my desk. Walking over to it I place my bag on the coffee table and pick it up. I must have left it here this morning when I went to pick up my ma--

I feel my whole body freeze as I see who the letter is addressed to and where it came from. Victoria Miller. For a few moments I just stare at the cover but then finally decide to open it. Please don't be what I think it is.

Ripping it open I read the letter over and over again, I flip it over and back but only three words are written on the plank page.

Four months left.

No, No, No, No. Shit, I..I- how did time pass by so quickly. Taking off my suit jacket I fold it and place it on the kitchen table as I'm left with only my white t-shirt and the baby pink suit pant's. Fishing my phone out of my pant's pocket I check the time and find that it's already eight thirty pm.

I'll deal with this later, I still have a few things left to do. I think to myself before turning on the stove and letting the letter burn to ashes and watch as that name disappears from sight.