Chapter 24

Noah received news of Benjamin's call soon after he left the infirmary.

Lisette, a young female wolf working in the pack house, and who was basically Noah's secretary, relayed the other alpha's message to Noah via mind-link, conveying how furious and annoyed Benjamin sounded.

With no more delay, Noah ran northward to Benjamin's pack. As soon as he was close enough, he linked Benjamin and found out what had him so miffed.

"All the alphas of the west coast thought it was okay to just hold a meeting in my damn pack."

Noah stopped at the border of Benjamin's land. Friend or not, wolves are very sensitive about their territories.

"Maybe they just want to take back their pack members," Noah replied, referring to the kidnapped females they had saved.

"If it was just those alphas, I would understand. But I'm telling you, man, the whole west coast is here." Benjamin sighed. "Are you close yet?"

"I'm at the border."

"I'll send an escort."

Noah didn't have to wait long. A warrior accompanied him to the location of the alphas. Noah shifted and accepted the sweatpants the warrior handed him.

The smell, feel and voices of so many alphas close by made Noah's wolf push forward.

He emerged from the cover of trees to a wide clearing, to find himself the sole focus of more than two dozen wolves.

Arthur and Harvey were also in attendance, arguing in hushed voices with Benjamin, Jensen and Mark on the edge of the clearing. Far away from everyone else. It had to do with Arthur's presence. The vampire lord spooked even a group of alpha wolves.

Noah headed their way, aware of the sudden silence and the wave of whispers his arrival induced. He arched a brow at Benjamin. The other alpha made a face.

"They got wind of your human, Lillian," Benjamin linked him. "Some aren't very pleased you kept it a secret."

"I didn't keep it a secret," Noah said. "I just don't see why I have to tell them whatever goes in my pack."

"Glad you finally joined the party," Mark said, yawning.

"Still didn't get your nap, Mark?" Benjamin teased Mark, and grinned when the other alpha snarled at him, his dark eyes flashing amber.

"How are the wolves doing?" Harvey asked. In a different suit and spotless shoes, the vampire stood out like a sore thumb in the wilderness around them.

"So far so good," Noah said, then shared all the information the lone wolves had given him.

"Harvey, why don't you make a list of all vampires you think could have been involved?" Arthur said when Noah finished speaking. "Start with the names we got from our prisoners, then make sure to check anyone who associated with them in any way or form."

Harvey gave a firm nod in response. "I'll get it done and send the list to Noah and Benjamin, photos included."

"Good, the girls had even less to tell us," Benjamin said. "They were always kept alone, but what they did remember was interesting."

"What?" Noah asked.

"They were kept unconscious the majority of the time," Benjamin said. "They all remember someone visiting them, but nothing beyond that. The girls all had fang and needle marks all over their bodies."

"Vampire fangs?" Noah asked, because vampire fangs were different from wolves', and from any other shapeshifter's.

"Maybe, maybe not." Benjamin sighed. "My pack doctor said he couldn't say. The marks have started healing when we brought them in, despite the silver in their bloodstream."