Chapter 37

Lillian saw the glimmer of hope in Noah's eyes. His face lit up. How was it possible that she, a small vulnerable human, had that much power over him?

"We'll talk to Arthur about it," Noah replied, his hand on her waist. "Usually, the process of applying takes a long time, with several proceedings and screenings. But Arthur owes me a favor, so we'll go directly through him."

Lillian gave him a skeptical look. "I don't know about going directly to Arthur."

"Don't worry. He's a scary bastard, but his honor will make him repay the favor." Noah smiled. "Besides, Elle likes you."

And Arthur wouldn't do anything to make Elle upset. Lillian nodded.

Sean strode through the door then. He gave them a look, seeing their position. Lillian was sitting on her stool, Noah's long legs on either side of her and his hand on her waist.

"Take it to your room," he said, walking to the kitchen.

Lillian turned away from Noah and covered her face. How mortifying.

"I smell pancakes," Sean said.

"Lillian left you a plate in the oven," Noah said. "Not that you deserve it."

There was a pause. Lillian peeked through her fingers to find Sean taking his plate out of the oven with a grin.

"Of course I do. I'm her favorite brother." He peered at his brother. "You're in a good mood."

"Yes."

"Good. Then you'll be glad to know the alphas are in a meeting with the witches about the punishment. Your presence was requested."

Noah growled. "Benjamin is supposed to deal with that crap."

"Most of the other alphas are there, and Benjamin keeps trying to rip out Taro's throat," Sean said. "You're the only one who can reason with him."

"Hot-headed asshole," Noah mumbled, standing up. He kissed Lillian's temple before heading out.

Sean leaned on the counter, the plate in one hand and a fork in the other. He'd drenched the pancakes in chocolate. Lillian liked him a little bit more. He knew how to eat pancakes.

He cut through the stack with his fork and stabbed the pieces. "You guys are getting chummy."

Lillian chuckled. "Aren't we supposed to be getting chummy?"

"Hmm." Sean chewed on the massive bite thoughtfully before he replied. "You're good for him."

Surprised at the sincerity in his voice, Lillian took a while to form her own words. "I'm glad you think so. He's good for me, too."

"He always had to be strong for us, you know. Somewhere along the way, he became this unimpressionable rock the entire pack leans on," Sean said, looking out of the glass wall. "He had to harden himself to be a buffer between our father and the pack after..."

"After your mother died."

He cocked his head her way. "He told you."

Lillian nodded. Sean shook his head. "He never talks about it, about what happened." He smiled, and his eyes held a warmth Lillian wasn't used to seeing directed at her. "I'm glad he decided not to kill you."

Lillian was surprised into laughter. "Yeah, me too."

Sean frowned. Then his head whipped to the glass wall. Lillian felt a shiver run down her spine. Her heart started beating faster. The dense trees in the backyard revealed nothing but darkness to her human eyes.