Chapter 4

The pups whimpered, and Noah could for the first time smell a hint of fear on the human.

Sean's wolf was getting out of control. Noah didn't like smothering his pack under his dominance, but his brother was letting his emotions cloud his judgment.

Lillian clutched her pups to her, her eyes alert and focused on Sean. Her face didn't betray any sign of the fear he'd smelled briefly a second ago.

Noah let his wolf come closer to the surface. Sean and Eva stiffened, their eyes dropping to the ground. The pups hid their faces in their mother's legs.

"Sean," Noah said. "There's a situation at the border. Go check it out."

Sean looked up but kept his gaze on Noah's chest. "You aren't thinking about keeping her here, are you?"

Noah growled out loud then linked his brother. "Go."

Sean disappeared after a parting glare directed at Lillian. She returned the favor and glared right back. Noah couldn't tell if she was stupid or just too bold for her own good. She had no sense of self-preservation.

Eva looked at her mate's back with a broken-hearted expression, her hand on her belly. Noah knew Eva was aware of the history that stained Sean's view of the human race. But she was more reasonable than his brother. That was why they were good together. They balanced each other out. Eva turned to look at Noah.

"Noah," she pleaded with him. Noah settled his eyes on Lillian.

"Eva, take the kids back to the infirmary."

The scent of fear appeared again. Lillian crouched down and engulfed her children in a fierce hug.

"I love you, guys," she said, her voice thick. "You know that right?"

Elijah and Ezra looked back at Noah after she released them, then back at their mom's watery blue eyes.

"Mommy, you're not coming with?" One of the twins, Elijah, said in a small voice.

"You just go with Eva for now. Okay, honey?"

"No," they both whispered. Ezra whirled around, throwing Noah a hard glare. "Don't hurt mom. I won't let you."

Noah was torn. His protective instincts demanded he protect the two wolf pups from the hurt he would be dealing them, but they also indicated he protect the pack by eliminating the human threat. His wolf whined, unable to decide.

Eva turned away from the scene, teary eyed.

Lillian firmly turned the twins toward her again. Blinking hard, she smiled at them. "None of that, now. Everything will be just fine. Go with Eva and be good boys, okay?"

She hugged them both again, then beamed at them. "Go on, now."

Lillian met Eva's eyes as the pups walked to her, and whispered. "Please take care of them."

Eva nodded, pinching her lips. Her disapproval was written all over her face. She took the confused boys' hands and led them away.

Lillian turned her back to Noah as she watched them leave.

"I love you boys!" Lillian shouted after them. The twins looked back.

"Love you, too," they replied simultaneously.

A second after they were no longer visible, Lillian furiously wiped her face then turned to Noah.

Noah knew the logical solution to the problem. They couldn't risk letting her out there, even though Harvey had cleared her- she had no contact with any suspicious party, was not a member of any organization. She had been leading a quiet life, relatively.