Chapter 50

Ezra's POV

Ezra and Elijah made it out.

They climbed out of the small window, covered in dust and blood from where they'd been cut by the sharp edges inside the vent. They had gone all the way down to the basement where the vent ended. The small room had one tiny window. Ezra broke the glass and they carefully climbed out, trying to be as quiet as possible like their mommy told them.

They hid in the bushes around the building. Ezra felt his wolf stretch, happy to be outside again in the fresh air. Although the sky was gray and the wind was strong.

There was a vampire and a witch walking around.

"It looks like the wolf is giving them hell," the vampire chuckled. "They called for backup."

"How the hell did she break out of her cage?"

"Who the hell knows?" The vampire said. "But they gave her a tranquilizer shot. Blazius won't be pleased when he comes back to find his toy asleep."

"Better asleep than not there at all."

They moved on. Ezra looked at his wide-eyed brother.

"Mommy?" Elijah asked.

"She's gonna be fine," Ezra said, remembering everything he'd overheard. "They don't want to hurt her because they want her for tests."

Elijah pursed his lips and nodded. The two shifted to their wolves as one and sneaked away from the building. It was in the middle of the woods, and it looked like an old building. Plants climbed up its sides, and the paint was dirty.

Ezra raised his nose to the wind. He remembered his lessons. If he wanted to sneak on someone, he had to make sure he was downwind of them so that they couldn't smell him.

There weren't a lot of patrols around, so Elijah and Ezra managed to escape from the sparse trees surrounding the old building into the thick woods. Then they ran.

This place didn't smell like the pack. There was salt in the air, the wind was strong and cool. Ezra pricked his ears. Was that the sound of waves? He had only been to the beach once with his mommy and Lydia, but he remembered the sound of the waves. Were they close to a beach?

Their mommy told them to find help. But how would they know who to trust? She's told them to trust their instincts. He should listen to his wolf's instinct.

The sound of cars. Ezra glanced at his brother, his ears twitching. They increased their pace until they were within sight of a road. Ezra pulled his brother by his tail using his teeth.

"What?" Elijah growled, snapping his own teeth at his brother.

"Be careful!" Ezra said, pawing the ground. "Don't just run to the road! What if someone driving a car is with them?"

Elijah huffed, stomping his paw on the ground. "How do we know who's good and who's bad?"

Ezra thought about it. "Maybe humans can help us?"

"Humans?"

"Yes. If we shift to our skin, the humans won't know we're werewolves," Ezra said. "Then we can ask them for a phone and we can call the pack. I remember the phone number. Mom made us learn it."

Elijah thought about it. "What if the humans work for the bad guys, too?"

Ezra didn't have a response. He tried reaching for his mom, but it felt like she was asleep. What should they do? He felt lost and confused. He just wanted his mommy. He wanted to go back to the pack. His wolf whined. Elijah licked his cheek.