Chapter 9

Noah hoped his face didn't betray his surprise.

He sat down at the head of the table. Clasping his hands together, he deliberated his response. Even if he was inclined to lie to Eva, which he wasn't, there was no use in doing it. "Yes."

"I knew it." She hit her palm to the table and left it there, leaning forward.

"It won't last," Noah said.

She frowned. "Why?"

"She's human, Eva." Noah sighed. "I'm only in the game because of my wolf, I can't deny him any longer. But you know how things work, if I don't feel the pull soon my wolf will back down."

"Are you saying you don't feel any pull towards her?" He didn't reply. Eva grinned, triumphant. "Anyway, the fact she's human isn't such a bad thing."

Noah was too damaged inside to give Lillian what she deserved. But even if he wasn't, she was a human and he a wolf. There were too many differences between them already.

Being a mother to wolves was one thing, being mated to one was an entirely different game.

Besides, he couldn't risk his heart if he didn't know her stance about turning into a vampire. He couldn't watch her grow old and frail and die, leaving him behind with nothing but a few paltry decades of memories.

Noah had lost enough, his heart too fragmented to risk another wreck.

When he didn't say a word, Eva blew out a frustrated breath. "So chatty, as always."

Eva rose. When she reached the door, she looked over her shoulder at Noah. "I just want you to be happy, Noah."

The door clicked shut behind her. Noah stood and walked to the sole window in the room.

Happy. Was he even capable of feeling joy again? It seemed all he'd been doing his entire life was simply survive, the wolf in him impassive to anything. Until now.

As if summoned by his thoughts, Lillian emerged from the trees along with Robert. It was time for her daily lesson with Anna. Her hair was pulled into a messy ponytail, brown strands framing her flushed face.

She said something and Robert burst out laughing so hard he bent down, hands on his knees. She patted his back, her grin in full bloom. Noah felt a twinge of emotion in his chest, he rubbed the spot absentmindedly. His gaze stayed trained on Lillian joking with the other wolf until they disappeared around the pack house.

Noah hadn't realized he moved until he leaned on the pack house's door frame. He crossed his arms and listened, watched, assuaging the wolf in him. And maybe, also the man.

The wind carried their conversation.

"Want another one?" Lillian said when Robert straightened, wiping his eyes.

"Shoot," he said.

"What do you call a dentist who cleans a wolf's teeth?"

Robert's brows furrowed in thought. "What?"

Lillian grinned at him. "Dinner!"

Robert burst out laughing again. "Oh my God...this should not be funny...why do I find it funny?" he said between gasps.

"I've got another one"; Lillian said, nudging Robert with her elbow when they started walking again, the wolf still snickering.

"No," Robert said, still out of breath. "I can't take it anymore."

"What do you call a wolf who gets lost?" Lillian said, then Robert started laughing before she even answered. "A wherewolf, you get it? Where." She made the gesture with her hands.