Bonus Chapter 6

Lillian and Noah hadn't wanted to bring the twins to the meeting. But the committee insisted on talking with the pups.

After lunch, they ran with the twins, Brielle and Benjamin to the location of the meeting. Brielle and Benjamin would take the twins back to their pack village after the committee spoke with them. Noah felt better if the pups were as far away from Albert as possible.

The committee members were outside a large two-story cabin built in a clearing in the woods on the edge of Benjamin's territory. There were five wolves, all of them over older than two centuries of age.

There were also a number of werewolves who came to witness the proceeding as was customary. Benjamin's warriors surrounded the area, out of sight but within intervening distance.

"More wolves than I expected," Noah mumbled, looking around.

"How many did you expect?" Lillian asked.

"Normally, only ten witnesses are required for a trial or a proceeding like this to be valid," Benjamin said, pushing back his blond hair. "But the number is always open to whoever wants to attend."

Noah counted almost fifty wolves other than the committee members.

"I guess you're a celebrity, Lillian," Benjamin added with a grin.

Lillian made a face, her displeasure and apprehension shaking the bond. "That's not something I want to hear, really."

Lillian picked up Ezra, Noah scooped up Elijah and wrapped his other arm around Lillian's shoulders. He didn't like having them here with all these people, especially considering the fact that Lillian had a bounty on her head.

The clouds thickened in the sky, and Noah smelled a storm in the air. Men and women looked and whispered. Lillian's shoulders tightened, though her face didn't betray her nervousness. They made their way to the cabin.

One of the alphas in attendance stepped in their way. "Alpha Noah," he said, his gray eyes looking Lillian and the twins inquisitively. "We heard rumors."

Noah wasn't particularly interested in the werewolf gossip mill, unless it had to do with Lillian and the twins. Which it probably did, considering the way the male was eyeing Lillian up and down. Noah could feel Lillian's annoyance through the bond. Soon it would bloom to anger.

Noah growled loudly. The alpha dragged his eyes from Lillian and raised an eyebrow at Noah. "Is it true she is immune to silver?"

"She is right here," Lillian snapped. "And that's none of your business."

The alpha narrowed his eyes at her, Lillian met his gaze head on, her wolf pushing to the forefront. She was edgy, and having so many powerful wolves around her for the first time must not help.

"Alpha Boris," Benjamin said, coming to a stand between them and the alpha. A good move since at the moment, Noah was inclined to treat anyone he didn't particularly like as a threat.

The Alpha's eyes shifted to Benjamin, who ushered the man away. "Why don't we have a word, you and I? We need to discuss some pending matters between our packs since you're down here, anyway."

Noah only marginally relaxed when the two went away. Brielle walked beside them toward the big cabin. Once on the porch, the five committee members turned to face them.

"Alpha Noah," the oldest werewolf, a man Noah knew as the former alpha of a pack in North Carolina, stepped forward. He gave a cursory glance at Lillian and the twins before focusing on Noah. "Good to see you again."