II - Caroline

Caroline realized that she had fallen asleep from crying, and sat up in bed, were she saw that it was around nine o' clock at night. Sighing, she got out of bed and went to her desk, where she saw Olaf swimming around in his bowl and looking at his owner "Hey, buddy," she smiled, while the fish just looked at her. Caroline suddenly saw a beautiful silver owl sitting on her open windowsill, whose feathers seemed to shimmer like silk. "Wow," She gasped and slowly went towards it, making sure not to startle the magnificent bird. "You're a pretty bird." Caroline complemented, and the owl hooted, then Caroline heard a whisper in her head. But you are much more beautiful than I am, young child. Listen, you must be sure to use your intelligence carefully, or something bad could happen to you, Caroline Thompson. Caroline stepped back in shock, but the owl spread a wing, and Caroline saw that there was a silver cuff bracelet with an owl and a blue-green moonstone gem above it, as if it were the full moon. "Whoa." She gently took if off of the owl's wing, while she wondered how it was able to fly so easily with it on. But, it came out of thin air, didn't it? Caroline thought, and the owl seemed to nod, as if reading her thoughts; and then flew off into the clouds. Caroline looked at the bracelet as she put it on her left wrist and smiled. It fit perfectly. Caroline heard her father talking to something—probably Mindy. "...You know that strange dog I've been telling you about?" Her father's voice asked, and Caroline pressed herself closer to the wall between her and her father's room. "I think I should send her there, just to be safe," Caroline felt angry, but she heard Jack come towards her bedroom, and she straightened up. "Carol?" He asked "Yeah?" she pretended that she didn't hear him, but he noticed her bracelet quickly. "Where'd you get the bracelet?" He asked "A silver owl gave it to me," she admitted "A 'silver owl'? Did its feathers look like silk by any chance?" Jack guessed "Yeah." her father's eyes went wide, and he grabbed a backpack from Caroline's closet and stuffed some clothes inside, as well as her bronze colored pocket knife she got for her ninth birthday, then he threw his daughter over his shoulder and carried her out to his car. "Dad, what's going on? Where're we going?" Caroline asked as he began driving. "Caroline, I thought I would never have to tell you this for two more years. But," He sighed, "That owl you saw was a sign. I have to take you to New York immediately."