IX - Caroline

She was confused. A Roman half-blood? "Caroline, what does this book say?" Chiron asked, holding a book that had words printed in Ancient Greek in front of her. Caroline looked at it for a moment or two, "I—I don't know, Chiron. It's just a bunch of squiggles and shapes to me," Chiron looked at a worried Leo, who was sitting next to her on the couch, holding her hand. "I'm confused. If Athena—Minerva, I mean—is a virgin goddess, then why is Caroline her only Roman daughter in existence?" Leo asked as Caroline squeezed his hand lightly. "I'm not sure, Leo. This means Caroline may not have a tattoo like everyone else at Camp Jupiter," Tattoo? Caroline thought, "Then again, she could be a legacy..." "But, my dad got all worked up after some owl gave me my bracelet. I may not know much about Roman stuff—but I think that would mean my father would've been a demigod or something." Caroline suggested, and Chiron looked at her. "You may be right. But, a half-blood mating with a goddess? Maybe your father's side may have a few demigods who descended from the early days of when mortal Romans excised." Caroline got an idea out of nowhere, "Maybe my dad is a descendant of Dionysus or something. He does get obsessed with things easily." This got Mr. D's attention, "Oh, please. If your father's side of the family was a decedent of me, you would've known a long time ago, Catherine." "It's 'Caroline'," Caroline corrected, "Whatever," Mr. D rolled his eyes. "What color were your father's eyes?" Chiron quizzed, "Electric blue." Caroline answered easily. "Huh," Chiron thought for a second, "It seems like your father is a descendant of Zeus—and you are still a child of Athena. So that does make you a legacy, Caroline." She began to scratch at her arm again, causing Chiron to gently take her right arm and examine it. "Sweet holy Poseidon," He mumbled. Caroline looked at her arm, and she could make out the words: S.P.Q.R through the scratches on her arm. S.P.Q.R? She thought while Chiron sighed. "I would like to send you to Camp Jupiter for your safety, I really would. But you still have a quest to go on." Chiron reminded her. Leo sighed and Caroline looked at him, "Hey, I'll be fine if I end up going to Camp Jupiter. But at least I get to spend time with you on the quest, right?" she soothed, and Leo only nodded. She had a feeling that she would end up going to this Camp Jupiter place in the end anyway, but she didn't care. Caroline felt sad that she would have to leave her boyfriend if she survived the quest to save a girl named Thalia—someone she didn't even know. "Will anyone else be going on this quest besides Leo and I?" Caroline asked after a moment, "Yes; Annabeth will be joining you. She and Thalia have had a long history together," Chiron informed and Caroline only nodded. At least she'll have another friend joining her. "When do we start?" Leo finally spoke, which made Caroline happy on the inside. "Tonight. I have already spoken with Argus on him driving you all out of Camp Half Blood, and into Manhattan." "Who's Argus?" Caroline asked, "Him," Chiron said, pointing to a surfer-like guy standing near the front door in silence, and the first thing she noticed about him was that he had about one hundred blue eyes all over his body. It freaked her out a little. Annabeth suddenly walked inside the Big House, holding a backpack and a golden dagger in her hands, ready to go. "You two should start packing if I were you," Annabeth instructed, and Caroline made her way to Cabin Six and watched Leo walk into Cabin Nine. Caroline packed her backpack full of things that consisted of a few shirts, jeans, some books printed in English, and a few extra weapons. By the time she walked outside, she saw Leo carrying only a hatchet in his hand. "Where's your stuff?" She asked, "Don't need 'em," Leo motioned to his tool belt with an elf-like smirk as Annabeth made her way over to them with Argus following behind, still silent. "Alright, let's go save Thalia Grace."