6

-6-

Ciel frowned as Elizabeth nearly strangled him in an embrace. He looked desperately at Sebastian, who could only smile apologetically and shrug.

"Oh Ciel! Happy Birthday! I've gotten you the loveliest gift. I can't wait to show it to you! And Mister Sebastian dressed for dinner as well! Oh, he looks so handsome! It'll be so wonderful!" She prattled on as she went into the dining room and Ciel looked back at Sebastian.

"Can we send her home now?" he whispered, and Sebastian shook his head, laughing softly.

"Not yet, Bocchan." Ciel paused before entering the dining room, looking up at Sebastian, obviously a little nervous. He shuffled his feet for a moment, waiting for Elizabeth to be out of earshot, and looked Sebastian over once more before speaking.

"She was right." He said quietly. The butler raised an eyebrow curiously and Ciel continued. "You look very handsome." Without another word, Ciel opened the dining room door and went inside, leaving Sebastian standing alone beside the door. The butler smiled and followed him in, watching as his Master seated himself, making polite conversation with his betrothed. Ciel paid her obligatory attention, but his eyes fell back to Sebastian quickly as he poured wine for each of them. "Wine?" Ciel asked, raising an eyebrow; it wasn't often Sebastian brought one of the fine wines up from the cellar.

"Yes, of course. For such a special occasion I've selected a red that should pair nicely with the pasta, which everyone has helped to prepare as a birthday gift for you, my Lord." Sebastian smiled kindly as he filled Ciel's glass, conscious to be his most graceful as he moved about the room. He could feel the bluenette's eyes on him, following him as he went about his work. Elizabeth laughed loudly and Ciel looked back to her, feigning amusement and drank a little of his wine. When the young Lord could no longer stand her incessant chatter, he raised a hand and Sebastian came to him, leaning close.

"Get the others. They should enjoy the meal they helped prepare." Sebastian nodded and stood.

"That's very kind of you, my Lord. I'll prepare more settings." Ciel watched as his butler left the room, and looked back to Elizabeth, smiling to the best of his ability.

"Oh, Ciel... you're so kind and considerate..." Ciel scoffed and shook his head, taking another sip of wine.

"Hardly. Quite frankly there's no telling what awful thing they've created for me to eat... and I'd prefer not to have leftovers."

When the rest of the household filed into the dining hall, Ciel smiled pleasantly, motioning them to sit, truly thankful for their presence, as it distracted Elizabeth. The Earl watched Sebastian set places for each of them, noting the speed and grace with which he moved, and soon he served their meal. When finished, Sebastian seated himself at the end of the table, keeping an eye trained on Ciel, taking sips from a glass of wine here and there to keep up appearances. He made polite conversation when required but spent a fair amount of time gazing wantonly at his Master.

Ciel listened to Elizabeth chatter on, laughing when he felt he should, feigning attention and amusement, doing his best to simulate happiness. He felt eyes upon him and glanced up from his plate, to see Sebastian speaking quietly to Baldo, the two of them laughing, but garnet eyes did not leave Ciel, only moved over him. The demon sipped his wine and listened as Baldo went on about whatever it was he was talking about, only glancing at the chef occasionally.

When he could stand it no longer, Sebastian excused himself and disappeared through the door to the kitchen and Ciel watched him go. He watched the door cautiously, waiting for Sebastian to return and began to grow anxious the longer he was made to wait. Elizabeth drew his attention away from the door and presented him with his birthday gift; a pair of sapphire cufflinks, for which he thanked her indulgently. Eyes flicking back to the door he looked for Sebastian only to hear his butler's voice come from behind him.