7

-7-

Ciel sat in his bedroom, gazing out the window. He'd successfully made his escape and watched as his betrothed's carriage carried her away. Now that she was gone, he had the rest of the evening to himself, and he relished the idea of being able to relax. But relaxation was a pipe dream. His mind was overwhelmed with the knowledge that Sebastian had been flirting with him, there was no doubt about it. And before long, his butler would be at his side. Alone with him. Ciel shook his head to clear the thoughts and leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes as he waited for Sebastian to come to him, and fell asleep while he waited.

Sebastian knocked lightly and entered, pushing a tea cart before him, peeking around the door to see Ciel asleep in the chair beside the window. Ciel lay there with his legs thrown over the arm of the chair, head resting on the back of it, hands folded in his lap. The demon sighed quietly, smiling down at him a moment before reaching out to stroke his cheek gently.

"Bocchan?" he whispered, caressing Ciel's cheek as he spoke. "Wake up, Bocchan. I have a surprise for you." The young Lord moaned quietly and began to stir, looking over at Sebastian with a sleepy smile.

"What surprise?" He asked quietly, and Sebastian laughed, shaking his head as he brought forth the tea cart. Ciel stretched and sat up in the chair, glancing out the window. It was late now; the rest of the household was surely asleep. He yawned and Sebastian placed a slice of cake and a glass of milk on the table before him. Ciel smiled and slipped off his eye patch, tossing it towards the bed. "This cake is perfect, Sebastian..." He took a bite and leaned back in his seat, sighing happily.

"I'm glad you enjoy it. I made it especially for you. And..." Sebastian offered him a large, square box wrapped in crimson paper with a large black bow. Ciel laughed softly and set his fork down, holding out his hands for the gift. "Be careful, it's a bit heavy." He sat the box in his lap for stared down at it for a moment before looking back up at Sebastian curiously. "Well, it isn't going to unwrap itself. Go on."

"Sebastian... I thought the cake was..."

"I thought it would be best if this gift was between us." Ciel bit his lip and looked back at the gift cautiously before slowly unwrapping it. Inside the box was an ivory and obsidian chess set, inlaid with gold.

"Ha! Wow... that's... really beautiful..." Sebastian smiled and nodded, collecting the wrapping paper, and setting it aside.

"Yes, I thought you would like it."

"I do... it's... amazing..." Ciel examined the ivory king and smiled. "Thank you." He said softly, looking back to his butler, who leaned against the footboard of the bed, watching him.

"Happy birthday, Bocchan." The young Lord laughed, shaking his head.

"You're late. It's not my birthday anymore." Sebastian checked his pocket watch and Ciel heard the grandfather clock in the hallway chime midnight.

"Look at that. Just in the nick of time." With a smirk, Sebastian approached and offered Ciel a hand. "But it is late. Are you ready to retire?" Ciel took the offered hand and stood, nodding, standing beside the bed once more as Sebastian began the ritual of dressing him for bed. Preoccupied, Ciel chewed at his bottom lip, fiddling with his blue diamond ring as Sebastian undressed him. "Did you get everything you wanted for your birthday?"

"Hm? No... no, not quite." He said quietly, glancing down at Sebastian quickly before looking away, trying to keep himself distracted.

"Oh? Your birthday wish did not come true?" Ciel bit his lip and shook his head.

"No. Not really." Sebastian slipped off Ciel's boots, socks and garters, still kneeling before him as he unbuckled his belt. He gazed up at Ciel with a half-smile, head tilted to one side.