Chapter 4: The World Is Falling Down, Nothing Ever Changes

Tommy could barely see, thick wafts of smoke and ash waving through the air. The gray fog winded around him like snakes slithering around in tall grass, leaving behind a phantom feeling as he walked through a painfully familiar crater. Blood coated the rocks and dirt behind him. The sun was hidden by clouds, wet droplets of water dripping and leaving wet spots in the torn fabric of his shirt.

Tommy was used to the aftermath of explosions, knew how it felt when the heat slowly faded as the fires died down and left a smoking crater. It didn't mean he liked it, though. Everything around him felt dead, nothing but the crackling of sparks and his own footsteps to fill the silent void. 

No matter how much he could escape, he still felt like he was trapped in this crater, in his nightmares, a hell as personal as the void that was his limbo.

Even if he'd ran, he could never truly escape Logstedshire.

"Tommy," an achingly familiar voice echoed from behind him. Tommy flinched, every fighting instinct in him clawing to the surface as if he were nothing more than a cornered mouse. He slowly turned around, taking a step back as he stood face to face with his tormentor.

Dream's form was twisted, an inky void leaking from behind his mask and dripping to the ground. He barely even seemed humanoid, his body deformed and twisted into a monstrous being. Every time the creature breathed, the tendrils of the void twisted and turned and made terrible squelching and cracking noises, as if just by breathing his ribs were being broken apart and sealed back together by the void. 

It felt somewhat accurate.

Nobody could do the things that Dream had done and still be human.

The man- no, the monster stepped towards him, the void leaking from him forming a clawed hand that reached for Tommy's head. He recoiled, suppressing a whimper as Dream's hand gently ruffled his hair, claws running through his filthy matted hair. Usually, Tommy would jump at the chance to be given physical affection, but the action only made him even more nervous. Dream wouldn't be this kind to him unless he had done something good, or if a punishment is on its way.

"You were hiding things from me, Tommy." Dream said, another hand made of void pointing at a collection of blown up wooden chests, burnt items and pictures scattered on the stone floor. "You lied to me, broke my trust."

"I know," Tommy whispered, voice light. "I'm sorry." He added, knowing it might help lessen what was to come.

Dream tsked, tugging on Tommy's hair before releasing him and turning away. Tommy tilted his head, wondering what creative punishment awaited him.

"You couldn't do one thing for me, could you Tommy?" Dream asked, anger building up in his voice. Tommy flinched at the change in tone, eyes widening.

"N-no!" He blurted, fumbling with his words as he felt himself struggle to breathe.

Dream can't be angry, he's so much worse when he's angry.

"I'm sorry Dream, I swear! W-we're friends, you can trust me please I just- Dream please-"

"Oh, Tommy." Dream practically coos, reaching forward again and tilting his chin up. Tommy so desperately wants to tear his gaze off of the thing , but he can't wrench himself free from his clawed hand. "I'm not upset, no."

His grip tightens. 

"I am irritated, though." Dream sounds like a parent scolding a misbehaving child, not angry, but just... dismayed. As if Tommy had offended him above anything else. Not broken the most important rule he had set again.