Chapter 7: A Million Pieces

"This is a bad idea." Karl mutters, wringing his hands together. "I shouldn't do this." Tommy fixes him with an incredulous look. He sighs.

"You did not spend all of last night having a mental breakdown only to not tell your fiancé what's really going on." Tommy says dryly. Karl sits back, worrying his lip.

"But what if—" He starts. Tommy resists the urge to shove him over.

"No." He says sharply. "You spent all of last night doing that, but you finally agreed to talk to him." Karl glares at him.

"Maybe I can pass out mid sentence. Then I won't have to explain." He says, snapping his fingers.

"Then I'll just tell him and let you explain when you regain consciousness." Tommy proclaims. Karl sighs, burying his face in his hands. 

"There's no escape, is there?" Karl mumbles, dismayed. 

"Nope." Tommy pops the p, smirking. "You'll be fine, just trust that things will be fine." Karl mumbles something under his breath, but doesn't protest further. "Now all we have to do is wait."

"This is horrible. Now would be a good time for a headache so I can feign ignorance or go do something else." Karl rests his head on the table, sighing melodramatically. 

"Wait, so your headaches. Are they linked to the time traveling thing?" Tommy blurts out. Karl lifts his head.

"Yeah." He shrugs, unbothered. "Among other side effects." Tommy tilts his head, curious. Theoretically, he could find out on his own. It was a little known fact that he was a shapeshifter. He didn't usually shift anything in front of people, save for a select few, like Tubbo or Wilbur. It made him self conscious, and he doesn't like showing it off. 

But then again, he could conceivably find out more about Karl's ability if he copied his DNA.

Tommy reaches out and takes Karl's hand, chattering words of aimless reassurance as he focuses on duplicating whatever he is. It's easier with physical features— Tommy could copy Tubbo's goat horns with ease— but inherent, hidden traits were harder. He needs to be in contact with the person, especially the first time.

And decidedly the last with Karl, because the second Tommy shifts, his entire body screams in pain.

Pinpricks of fire races down his arms and through his head, each heart beat like thunder under his skin. He can feel his eyes watering, the pain so intense and constant. It refuses to yield, instead only getting worse. Tommy releases Karl's hand with a gasp, forcing himself to focus enough to reset his own DNA structure.

The agony ends, but he can feel the after effects. Like his cells are still trying to tear themselves apart. He shuts his eyes, a shudder racing down his spine. 

"How the fuck do you live like this?" Tommy says seconds later, locking eyes with the time traveler.

"Live like what?" Karl asks quizzically. 

"It feels like someone is dropping nukes on my cells, what the fuck." Tommy spits back, another aftershock rippling through his brain. 

"Wait." Karl says, drawing back slightly. "Did you like... copy my DNA?" Tommy flashes him a nervous smile.

"I'm a shapeshifter... surprise?" He offers. Karl blinks at him. 

"Nice." Is all he says, grinning back. "That's pretty cool." Tommy beams with pride, straightening up. Dream had called me a thief, he remembers suddenly, but refuses to give way to somber. Tubbo never thought he was a thief, Wilbur never thought he was a thief, and clearly Karl doesn't care.