Chapter 8: It's Gonna Hurt Like Hell (To Become Well)

Karl is fine.

Sure, he got stabbed, had a breakdown, and then passed out for the entire morning, but he's fine now. It's not like he's actively dying anymore. He hit Ranboo with a stick without passing out! Besides, he wants to talk to them anyway. He hasn't seen Tubbo in forever, come to think of it.

So he had decided the second that Sapnap shut the door to their room that he would go back downstairs. After he rested for a second, because he is, admittedly, tired. Karl swears he only shuts his eyes for a few seconds, but suddenly the sun is setting and it's almost night.

Maybe he was tired.

Karl makes it halfway down the stairs before he hears voices.

"I can't believe you bit me." Sapnap's voice floats down from the entryway, bemused agitation coloring his tone.

"Listen, it was worth it." Tommy replies, laughing.

"Well, now I know you have an off switch, so it won't happen again." Sapnap retorts. Karl descends the staircase, poking his head around the corner.

"Who bit who now?" He asks, tilting his head.

"I bit Sapnap." Tommy raises his hand. "He tried to blame me for the soup incident." Karl nods sagely.

"Understandable." He agrees. "I condone it."

"What the fuck." Sapnap deadpans, looking utterly betrayed. "This is slander I say, utter slander." Karl gives him a cheeky grin.

"Yep!" He says cheerfully. "You're also just mad because you know deep down that it was justified."

"No. Never." Sapnap says, shaking his head. "Besides, Tommy has an off switch, allegedly."

"No, that's a lie, it's fake news." Tommy declares, almost a little too quickly. "Tubbo was lying."

"Then how'd he get you to stop biting me, huh?" Sapnap shoots back. Tommy shrugs, although he doesn't reply. Karl sits down on their couch, watching with a lifted brow.

"That's a good question." He points out. "How did he get you to stop trying to murder my fiancé?"

"No comment." Tommy says, turning away and crossing his arms. "I have the right to remain silent, and I am using that right." Sapnap hums to himself, tapping his foot against the ground. His tail flicks in agitation.

"Okay, you bit me, and then Tubbo ran forward and grabbed you like this–" Sapnap reaches toward Tommy. The teen slaps his hand, glaring at him.

"I'll bite you again, don't–" Sapnap picks him quickly, hoisting him off of the ground under his arms. Tommy kicks his shin once, before dropping forward.

"I think I found it." The demon whispers. Karl stands up, shocked.

"No way." He says with a laugh. "No chance."

"Tommy?" Sapnap whispers, shaking him lightly. No response.

"Oh my honk." Karl whispers, staring incredulously as Sapnap swings toward him. Tommy is completely limp in his grip, arms flopped forward like a cat.

"I think this is the off switch Tubbo was talking about." Sapnap observes, setting Tommy down. The second his feet touch the floor, he reels on Sapnap, practically spitting like a feral cat. (Ironic, Karl thinks with a snort of amusement).

"Bitch, I'll fucking kill you, I do not have an off switch thank you very much, you're so fucking—" Karl walks over and picks him up with ease, lifting him off the floor in the same manner Sapnap had. Almost immediately he flops like a rag doll.