Becoming Queen

Dyana sits beside Viserys as she reads to him a hand in his hair as he rests his head onto her shoulder. From behind they look like a mother and her child, so innocent and calm in the quiet that surrounds them as Dyana reads aloud.

Viserys sits watching the fire before them, if he did not look at the woman beside he could have sworn he was a boy again with his mother.

Dyana has her free hand on her belly where she just knows her second child with Daemon is growing in side of her. She looks down at her stomach before looking back at the book a small smile on her face.

'Dyana' Viserys suddenly cuts her off.

'My King?'

'Has Rhaenyra talked to since...'

'No, my King, my sister Alicent is her friend, not I. I have been away too long for her to see me as a person she can confide in, your grace' Dyana looks down at Viserys to see he has been watching her to whole time. He nods as he slowly sits himself up before his eyes go to her other hand which is on her belly.

'You are pregnant'

Your grace?'

'Your hand'

Dyana looks down before smiling and shaking her head 'No, your grace, I am not with child it is a habit I began with Tayla and have not yet grown out of it, I am afraid'

'Have you ever thought of having more children, Lady Hightower?'

'Yes, your grace, I long for more children, but I should need a husband first, although it has not been long since Edmund, my King, so I yet have hope'

'Which would you prefer, boys or girls?'

'Girls, your grace. I know I should wish for a boy for my husband, but a boy would be his and a girl would be mine. Although I would like a boy' she says after a pause 'He would be a nice comfort, I suppose should my husband be away. Men always listen to other men before they listen to a woman'

'What of Queen Visenya?'

'She held a sword most of the time, your grace, along with having a very large dragon to back her'

Viserys chuckles 'Yes, I suppose that is true'

'Most women cannot hold a sword, and most people do not have dragons. Although we women are very skilled with a needle'

At this Viserys cannot help but laugh loudly. Dyana laughs with him, her laughter is like bells in the wind, beautiful and musical. Viserys watches her as her laughter fades into a smile as she looks over at him.

To the shock of them both, he suddenly leans over and kisses her gently. As quickly as he did it he pulls back.

'I am sorry' he apologises bowing his head 'I am so sorry'

'It is fine your grace'

'It is not I have dishonoured you'

'No one was here your grace. No one will know, and you need not feel guilty. It was a kiss between two grieving people. And with two grieving people, mistakes can be made. I once heard a story of a wife so sick with grief she went out and married her husband's horse'

'How-...' Viserys trails off confused as he frowns thinking. Dyana smiles pleased she managed to calm the worried man down. She had only started to visit Viserys as a service to Daemon, to make sure his brother was comforted in his grief. Never had she thought Viserys might do something more-I knew I should have worn that black dress that did not show the world every small thing I had to offer-But it had been her mother's dress and it had always been a comfort to her.

'Good morrow, my lords' Viserys says as he turns from the window to look at the lords who had come to the council room to hear what he had to say. Corlys Velaryon sat at the end of the table as Otto sat with Alicent behind him. Rhaenyra stands to the left of her father opposite the Hightowers. Everyone looks to the door was Dyana walks into the chamber. She looks up and freezes before looking between everyone before looking at the King.

'I am sorry, I was not aware...' she trails off

'Please take a seat' Viserys points to a chair which Dyana slowly sits into confused as she looks at Corlys who looks back at her.

'What is happening?' she asks him, all she gets is a shrug in response.

'I have decided to take a new wife,' Viserys announces to the room. Upon hearing those words everyone bar Dyana sits up  suddenly more interested in what the King had to say. Corlys' smile turns smug as Otto looks at Alicent pleased as Alicent looks at Rhaenyra who is looking at her father who turns to her for support before looking back at the lords and ladies in the room 'I intend to marry the Lady Dyana Hightower'

Everyone freezes including the lady in question who stares at Viserys in shock as everyone slowly turns to look at her. Otto looks at his daughter shocked and pleased as Alicent looks at her in betrayal and Rhaenyra looks at her secret Aunt-by-law shocked. Dyana slowly turns to look back at the Princess both of them sharing a scared look before Corlys leaps to his feet.

'This is an absurdity' he says outraged 'My house if Valyrian, the greatest power in the realm-'

'And I am your King' Viserys says back cooly with a hint of ice in his voice. Corlys looks the King over before walking out of the room. 

Slowly and uncertainly Dyana stands as well before slowly as if in a dream she walks out of the room deaf to the cries and calls of her father and the King. Quickly Rhaenyra walks after Dyana.

'Rhaenyra!' Viserys calls but the closing of the door is the only answer he gets.

'Aunt' Rhaenyra calls as she follows Dyana through the Red Keep, it is early so no body is about to hear the title the Princess calls the Hightower lady.

Dyana turns tears falling down her face as Rhaenyra draws closer to her. 'You have to believe me I did not wish for this to happen, I only meant to comfort, I knew what he was going through' Dyana rambles.

Rhaenyra cuts her off 'Breath'

Dyana takes a deep breath before she crumples falling to the floor, Rhaenyra falls with her, more slowly and with a kind hand on Dyana's shoulder. Dyana turns a tear streaked face to her niece 'Daemon was going to announce our marriage'

'He still can'

'He will not, he knows as do I if he ever did not, we both would meet the sword of the executioner'

'I will stand by you'

'Rhaenyra, I am so sorry, I truly did not mean for this to happen, I only meant to help my husband, by helping his brother'

'I know, I know' Rhaenrya hugs the crying woman tightly 'I do not blame you'