Part 7

The two boys entered the lobby of a lab of some sort, "Is this about the eye?"
"Of course it's about the eye." Five whispered so that the workers wouldn't overhear it. Ethan rolled his eyes but didn't reply. Five walked up to a man near the front desk.
"Um, can I help you?" The man asked as he saw them.
Five pulled out the eye, "I need to know who this belongs to."
The man's eyes widened, "Where did you get that?"
"Why do you care?" Ethan nudged his arm and he sighed, "I.. I found it.. at a playground actually. Uh, must've just," He clicked his tongue to imitate a popping sound, "Popped out." He gave a smile, "We want to return it to it's rightful owner."
"Oh, what thoughtful young men." The woman behind the counter stated mainly to herself.
"Yeah, look up the name for us will ya." The innocence he was forcefully adding to his tone had been diminished.

"Um, I'm sorry but patient records are strictly confidential. That means I can't tell you-"
"Yeah I know what it means."
"But I'll tell you what I can do. I will take the eye off your hands and return it to the owner. I'm sure he or she will be very grateful so if I can just-"
"Yeah, your not touching this eye."
"Now you listen here, young man-"
"No you listen to me, asshole."  He had walked up to the man and grabbed his collar, "We've come a long way for this. Through some shit your pea brain couldn't even comprehend, so just give us the information we came for and we'll be on our merry way." He paused, "And if you call me young man one more time I'm going to put you head through that damn wall."
"Oh dear.." the woman quietly exclaimed.
"Call security." The woman nodded her head and obliged.
Ethan grabbed Five's hand to calm him down. He led him out of the lab with Five still annoyed.

The two boys were in Five's old room. Ethan was sat on the edge of the bed sharpening a knife.
"Five?" Vanya was looking for them. "Are you upstairs? Five?" She entered the room, "Oh, thank god. I was worried sick about you two."
Five turned around, "I'm sorry we left without saying goodbye."
"No, look, I'm the one who should be sorry. Yeah, I was dismissive, and.. I.. I guess I didn't know how to process what you were saying.. and I still can't to be honest."
"Maybe you were right to be dismissive. Maybe it wasn't real after all. It felt real. Well.. like you said, the old man did say time travel could contaminate the mind." Ethan rolled his eyes before going back to sharpening his knife.
"Then maybe I'm not the right person you should be talking to. Look, I used to see someone. A therapist. I could give you her information."
"Thanks but.. I think I'm just going to get some rest. Its been a long time since I've had a good sleep."
"Okay." Vanya smiled at Ethan before walking out.

"That's so.." Klaus stumbled out of the closet he was hiding in, "Touching, all that stuff about family and dad and time. Wow!"
"Would you Shut up? She'll hear you."
"I'm moist."
"I told you to put on something professional."
"What? This is my nicest outfit."
"We'll raid the old man's closet."
"As long as I get paid."
They all walked out of the room, "When the job is done."
"Okay, but just so we're clear on the finer details, I just gotta go into this place and pretend to be your dear old dad, correct?"
"Yeah. Something like that."
"What's our cover story?"
"What? What are you talking about?"
"I mean, was I really young when I had you? Like 16? Like, young and.. terribly misguided?"
"Sure."
"And are you both my kids?"
"No."
"Alright. Your mother, that slut. Whoever she was. We met at.. the disco. Okay? Remember that. Oh my god, the sex was amazing."
"What a disturbing glimpse into that thing you call a brain."
"Don't make me put you in time out."