04

song:
1 shot - dpr ian

PREDESTINED GRAVITATION

A natural, delicate atmosphere, the sun glimmering through the curtains and reflecting off the warm hardwood floor. Although serene, Chiasa's heart was in an uncomfortable jitter. For someone so briefly introduced, Chiasa still reacted even though she was reluctant company to him. Not even an acquaintance. Even if leaving abruptly would be considered expected still bothered her.

Simply for her, it was distracting, and her mind went to the depths of darkness that weaved in between her thoughts. What if her attempt to heal his wounds, to be a known pillar in his life to keep going was never built, or her feeble attempts cracked and crumbled off after he woke up from his dreams.

What if Jeonghan was really cutting his destiny short?

Sadly, Chiasa didn't have too much time to have the ethereal stranger on her mind. Her life wasn't slow-paced, and not even his new, and somehow, refreshing appearance couldn't break her mundane cycle. Her purposeless life.

Getting ready was nothing of glamour, she trudge her way through looking presentable and grabbing her things. Luckily her first job today was just below her, but even the short distance felt far away and unforgiving.

She yawned as she was welcomed by the owner. The bookstore wasn't lavish, its size didn't hold a candle to the major library twenty minutes away, but it was homey and recognizable, and the people who were curious enough to set foot in the entranceway once wouldn't forget it.

Her shift was slow, replacing books, mending ripped pages, checking books in and out, and repeating.

Another cycle in her life, but this one was comforting enough that she didn't feel like all her time was wasted. A little after nine at night, when the brisk air chilled her hands. The stars began to communicate in their constellations, and Chiasa finished her shift.

Clocking out and saying goodbye before making her way to the convenience store. She had to reach into her bag to put on her gloves. The temperature had dropped since the previous week, and even if the sun came out today, the winter weather still overpowered any chance of comfortable heat.

"Ah, the weather is so inconsistent." She mumbled to herself. With no thoughts on her mind she was reminded of Jeonghan. "I hope he's warm."

His whole situation was odd to her. He had no shoes, clothes were damaged and crumpled. His skin was dry, and she knew he was thirsty at least he was earlier. She was intrigued by his story, which only made guilt reek in her system from her incessant curiosity.

But not even Haco knew what happened to him.

"Odd." She talked to herself once again. She hugged herself to find relief from the cold.

She heard some rustling, some unwelcome noise down an alleyway she walked past; her feet only picked up her pace. Yes, a small town was safe, for the most part, but no matter how safe someone was always willing to cause havoc. So what most people do, including herself, is ignore them; that's how to stay safe. She couldn't afford another medical bill.

She entered the store, and was greeted by her coworker, "Hello, Myunghee. How's the shift been?" Myunghee was around her age and was in medical school; Chiasa found her impressive. The entity warned Chiasa of her, but she ignored Haco's distaste; she liked Myunghee.

"Slow, surprisingly. But a grandmother came in and said those men are out again tonight, so be careful." Myunghee picked up her bag, and softness rounded her eyes. Genuine care was evident in the tone of her voice.