Dragon Unsummoned

"Alright, listen up Evil," Lady Lesso begun her class. "If you're not complete imbiciles and actually read your schedule, you'd know that we are having our Special Talents class," her voice echoed between the dirty room's walls. The only source of light was the rays of sun that shone through the giant windows placed on every wall.

There were desks and chairs places in a half circle around Lesso, placing her in the center. "I want you to wow me with your own special talent," she instructed as she walked around the half circle, landing at Hort. "Hort!" she commanded loudly as she slammed her staff on his desk. "Yes ma'am," he replied as he shot up from his chair. "Show me your talent." "You're gonna love this, I've been working on my werewolf powers," he introduced proudly before he got to work. 

He groaned as he concentrated with his weak chest exposed to Lady Lesso. His face turned red with effort. He looked like he was taking a shit right there. But then, a long hair burst out from his chest and he sighed in relief. Lesso inspected it. "Next time I need a one-haired werewolf, I'll call you. Sit," she gave as feedback as she pushed him back down into his chair with her staff. 

She then moved over to Dot (who turned her desk into solid chocolate and started munching on that as well), Hester (who impressively made her dragon tattoo burst out of her flesh and start flying around the room, leaving the whole classroom in awe) and a bunch of other students with talents (no one could outdo Hester of course) before Lesso reached me.

"Dazzle me," she whispered inticingly as I stood up from my chair and took a few steps back. "This is going to be so good," I heard Dot faithfully whisper. I closed my eyes and began concentrating. Just like mother does, just like she taught me.. I thought. I could almost hear the class' breaths sync up in expectation. I brought back memories from my life. That time a village boy almost discovered me, another time when a hunter thought I was a deer and tried to shoot me and another time when a bunch of teenage boys had begun walking in the forest, leaving their beer bottles behind. Ugh, why couldn't men just mind their own buissness and go away? Just as I thought none of this worked, I began thinking of the stinky boy, finding a feeling that was oddly stronger than hate.. curiosity. This was the first time I had needed to push a little extra to feel hate towards a member of the male species. Why?

Fueled by new and strong emotion, I opened my eyes. They were now fully lime-green and my pupils had dilated into a line. Like a dragon's. My already spiked teeth, grew larger and sharper, and so did my black nails. I thought my transformation was going to keep going, but it didn't. I couldn't feel my wings longing to burst out of my back, and no horns wanted to reach for the sky.

I let out a disappointed sigh as I sat back down, letting all my dragon-like features disappear. Lady Lesso looked at me in confusion, but that quickly turned into her usual cold stare. "Hm," was the only thing she said as our class rankings begun appearing above our heads. Leaving me with a sour 12.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

After class, I was asked to stay behind to have a chat with Lesso.

"What happened today?" she asked, as if she was my personal therapist. "Nothing," I replied, cold. "Like, actually nothing." "I know what the problem is," she led on, gaining my attention. "Yes?" I asked, wanting to know. "You don't allow yourself to feel." I frowned. "Magic follows emotion," she said, "or, that's at least what they teach you in Good."

"What are you saying?" "You need to let yourself feel." I didn't answer. "I see your hate towards boys," she begun. "And I get that, considering your mother's history." "But you have to realize that this isn't her fairytale," she spoke. "It's yours," she finished as she placed her surprisingly soft hand on mine. "I see your potential," she linked her eyes with mine. "Please consider my advice," she asked gently. "I will. Thank you ma'am," I finished the conversation as I headed for the exit.