Fingerglow

The day had finally arrived. The day both schools had been just as excited to reach. What Evers had been dreaming of, and what Nevers would gain as an advantage. This was the day that we would get our fingerglows.

Nevers and Evers were sitting on their seperate bleachers across from eachother just like we had done at the Welcoming. Dovey and Lesso were also standing where they had done before, ready to announce the agenda. Lesso's staff hit the floor and created silence through the whole room. No one wanted to wait a moment longer.

"Today is a very special day," Dovey beamed with her pearly white smile on display. "Today, we will unlock your fingerglows," Lesso boomed graciously. "Your fingerglow is what unlocks your magic. It's what makes you who you are," Dovey swooned as he finger glowed in a golden shine. "It is what will give you an advantage in battle," Lesso barked. "You will be able to create and destroy. You can even mogrify. If work hard enough," she informed.

"What's to 'mogrify'?" someone in Good whispered. "Transforming into animals, bugs, insects, whatever has a beating heart," was replied. "Not other humans though," someone else shot in.

"Now, if you will be so kind and line up in front of your Deans, we will begin unlocking your fingerglows," Dovey smiled. The Evers lined up gently, letting others go first and smiling at eachother in great contrast to the Nevers, who were sneaking ahead in the line, pushing eachother over and climbing over one another in a battle to be the first one out.

Not to anyone's great surprise, I landed first in the line with Beatrix first on the Evers' side. Dovey and Lesso pulled out their seperate silver keys, engraved with swans and other beautiful details. They were almost the same, but it was easily noticed that Good's key was softer than Evil's sharp and harsh key.

"Don't worry Evers," Dovey shone, "Good doesn't feel pain." "Nevers," Lesso began, "this is going to hurt." Good smiled as Evil grinned.

Good's key sunk right into Beatrix's index finger and attached to her bone effortlessly. Her finger began to glow in a pink color. She admired it as Dovey turned the key one full time. I looked up at Lesso, who was already looking me dead in the eyes, key ready to strike.

I nodded slightly, letting her know I was ready. With both school's eyes on me, the key pierced straight through my flesh with a naouseating sound of flesh being penetrated. The tip of my finger begun glowing in an evil lime green shine as she twisted the key. I never broke eyecontact with her. I didn't even flinch. Pain is nothing but a state of mind.

Lesso looked into my eyes, digging into my soul. She grinned softly as if she read my mind, and knew that I had started to soften up for Hort. "Good job," she praised as she pulled the silver key out of my fingertip. "Thank you ma'am," I replied.

As I walked off in the middle of the Nevers and Evers as if it was a red carpet, I kept studying my finger. I knew that people were looking. I could feel their heads turning.

After all, my glow was green. Like my mother.