ONE

Third Person POV

Brietta spends each of her mornings waking up at 6am and working out. Then she takes a shower, and gets dressed into whatever outfit she picked out the night before. She locks her apartment up and walks down the street to her favorite coffee shop 'BB&F' which stands for Biscuits, Books, and Flowers. It's a little local shop in New York, full of good treats, it's own library, and the best coffee in town. It's decorated with flowers and greenery throughout the store, that locals can purchase.

She's greeted by the only person she trusts in this world. The shop owner.

"Good morning flower." Agatha greets Brietta with a wide smile using her nickname for the young woman

"Good morning Aggie." Brietta greets with her own nickname and smile

"How have you been sweet girl?" Agatha asks

"I've been good but busy. I haven't seen you around here much. Is everything ok?" Brietta asks out of concern for Agatha's health

"Oh I'm fine dear. I had to hire a few new employees and get them trained in the back. Training is always a hassle for me these days." Agatha explains

"Is there anything I can do to help?"
Brietta asks out of pure kindness

"Unless you want to help train the newest girl how to make a proper coffee. Im afraid not." Agatha jokes with a smile

"I can do that." Brietta replies

"Are you sure dear? Don't you have to be at work?"
Agatha questions

Brietta checks her watch and replies with a smile "I don't have to be in until noon. I can help. After all the best barista is the one who taught me."

"I wouldn't go calling myself the best."
Agatha says with a cheeky smile

Brietta shakes her head and says "You might not would..but I do. Now can I meet this newbie?"

"Of course. Follow me." Agatha says then leads Brietta through the cafe and library into the back room where you can see a frustrated teenage girl pouring out yet another cup of coffee.

"Brietta meet Farrah. She's my newest employee, and the youngest. She's a sixteen year old graduate who is now taking college classes to become a brain surgeon." Agatha introduces

"And Farrah meet Brietta, her and I have been friends for years. She use to help me around the shop before I could afford to pay employees. We have a long history, and she's going to help train you a little today."

Agatha then makes her exit.

The younger girl is the first to speak "I should probably just quit while I'm ahead. I mean what kind of future brain surgeon can't make a cup of coffee."

Brietta smiles to herself thinking how much this girl reminds her of herself then says "You're not ahead"

Farrah looks up at Brietta slightly embarrassed and upset. Just as Farrah is about to speak Brietta cuts her off.

"Farrah I'll be honest with you. You are a smart and beautiful young girl..but you aren't ahead. Maybe ahead of your classmates but certainly not in life."

"I don't get it." Farrah says

"You're standing here letting an expresso machine beat you up, and make you doubt yourself. That's not what being ahead looks like in any aspect of life."
Brietta states

"I can't get the stupid thing to work properly. I've tried and tried." Farrah mumbles

"That's life. Get over it and start over."
Brietta says as she put on an apron careful not to mess up her clothes

"Now come. We have coffee to make, not self pity to wallow in. It'll soon be the morning rush, and we're striving to be ahead of it and not behind."
Brietta states

Farrah rolls her eyes slightly only to stop when she sees Brietta staring at her in amusement.

🌹

After the morning rush Agatha comes barreling through the back room.

"I'm assuming training went well, considering every customer was able to leave happy." Agatha says

"You'd assume right." Brietta says

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" Farrah says nearly jumping up and down while awkwardly hugging Brietta and Agatha

Agatha laughs "I take it she finally learned."

"She did." Brietta said then added "She'll be like a professional in no time at all."

Farrah shyly smiles as Brietta takes off her apron and checks her watch.

"Now it's time for me to go. I'll see both of you tomorrow morning, and Farrah I expect a perfectly brewed coffee." Brietta says with a smile

Farrah smiles and says "I'll make it my best one yet."

"See you tomorrow flower, take care of yourself." Agatha says

"You know I always do." Brietta replies

"And thank you for your help today." Agatha says

"Anytime." Brietta says on her way out the door and goes to hail a taxi

🌹

Brietta walks into her office building 'Barnes & Rinaldi', which happens to be the best law firm in the city. Probably the most successful in the America, if we're counting. They get a lot of rich clients, and with that comes a ton of publicity.

Only the best of the best work there.

Brietta's step father Mike Barnes was a co-owner of the firm. Until he and her mother Elise Sinclair died mysteriously died.

Brietta's older step brother Ashton Barnes owns a part in the company, and so does she. They spilt Mike's half in the business since he died.

The only difference between Brietta and Ashton is that Brietta had to fight for her part in the company.
Meanwhile Ashton's was simply handed to him, after their parents deaths. It was in the will that way.

But Brietta has a knack for fighting against things written against her.