FOUR

Brietta's POV

We arrive at the courthouse like one big happy family. Paparazzi were a devil to fight off luckily as expected the Rinaldi's have heavy security. Alessandro and Salvatore surprisingly stood on each side of me until we made it through the doors of the courthouse. Even then it seemed as if they were guarding me, they just seemed to walk a few steps behind to give me space that the paparazzi outside wouldn't allow.  Meanwhile Paolo, Silas, and Santino seemed to do the same for Thalia. It's an odd thing to watch important mafia men guard a woman, while she leads them by walking ahead.

🌹

We finally get to the courtroom holding our private trial. It seemed tense as we walked in as the police force seemed on edge and angry. The jury seemed a little frightened, curious, and some even looked a little excited. The Rinaldi's all standing close seemed to tense as we made our way to our spots, and I notice even the police force's whole team of lawyers seemed tense, some even scared and worried. I saw a few sweat as we walked in. It felt as if I was walking with pure power, and yet there seemed to be a few people who looked at me curiously. The lawyers seemed to scoff, probably because I was the only lawyer representing the Rinaldi's in such a big trial. The policemen that notice me look me up and down as if I'm their next meal, and the jury watch me curiously as I start to prepare. 

However I've never been more relaxed and at peace, than I am right now.

🌹

The judge we have today, is probably the only judge around not in the mafia's or police's pocket. He's from outside New York. He's a real ball buster too. So this trial should be interesting.

First they called Thalia to the stand. I let them get a few basic questions in before I brought up spousal testimonial privilege. Which gave Thalia an out of testifying today. She thanked me with a soft smile.

Paolo, Alessandro, and Salvatore were next, and the lawyers questioned them until they were blue in the face and still they were able to answer without giving anything away. The lawyers were getting frustrated and the police were becoming even more irritated which only meant one thing.

Things were going to get heated.
Silas is next, then Santino. I knew both of them would be harder to prove innocent regardless.

"Mr. Rinaldi is it true that you and your brother killed an innocent woman, and her husband then left them to be found in the local park?"
The cocky lawyer asks

"No." Silas replies calmly

"Is it true that the last time you came to New York that you killed a member off the police force then fled back to Italy?" The lawyer questions

"No." Silas answers yet again

Sad thing is I think he's telling the truth.

"Is it true..." the lawyer starts but I cut him off "Objection."

"Under what cause Ms. Sinclair?" The judge asks looking at me closely, as I now seem to have everyone's attention

"Badgering the witness. Asking stupid questions. Getting tired of the same repetitive questions over and over again. Take your pick, your honor."
I say respectfully but honestly over it

The judges mouth almost lifts up into a smile.

"Very well." The judge says

The lawyer glares at me, but I make a hand gesture for him to continue.

"You may continue your questioning Mr. Brady but I'd make it quick if I were you." The judge tells the lawyer, who seems to get annoyed.

"I rest my case." The lawyer says clearly irritated

"Ms. Sinclair do you have any further questions?" The judge questions

"Actually yes your honor. I do." I say shocking everyone because they whole time I haven't done nothing but observe and get Thalia out of the hot seat. The rest had it handled, but I'm gonna have to help these boys.

"Mr. Rinaldi is it true that the last time you were here that you were celebrating your birthday?"
I ask

Silas nods and says "Yes."

"Could you explain to everyone what the night consisted of?" I ask him

"My brother Santino and I went clubbing, at one of our favorite spots." Silas states

"Yes. Now if everyone could turn their heads to the screen, I'd love to show proof that the allegations against my client are false. You see these pictures are time stamped from a camera in the local club. Which proves that Silas and Santino were not even able to kill the police officer." I say boldly

Then I skip to the next picture.

"Mr. Rinaldi could you tell me what you see in this photo?" I ask him politely

Silas looks at me weary, and tense because I've just now shown the courtroom a picture of him standing over a woman's and man's body on a cell phone.
I give Silas a slight smirk for him to talk, as a sign of good faith.

"Yes, that's me. Over a woman and a man."
Silas states

"That's correct. Is it fair to assume that this is the evidence they should've had when questioning you?" I ask

"Yes." Silas says

"Is it also fair to assume that the woman and man in this photo might have been married, as the Mr. Brady suggested?" I question

"Yes. I suppose." Silas says looking intrigued with where I'm going with this

"Thank you Mr. Rinaldi. I just have one more question, as I know you and your families time is valuable." I tell him

Silas nods

"Is it true that the police are trying to get this murder pinned on you, just because of your families unknown business ventures. When all you did was call the murder in, as a humbled citizen. Just as you're seen doing in this photo?"

Silas eyebrows raise ever so slightly "Yes."

"That'll be all. I rest my case, your honor." I say

Not a person in courtroom outside of myself weren't surprised. The Rinaldi's seemed to stare at me in unbelief.