Chapter Sixteen

Years After

"Are you okay?" Tyler asked.

Ollie nodded, shaking violently.

"Good," he said rubbing the back of her head. "Do you wanna sleep now?"

She nodded again. Tyler gently picked her up and set her in bed, then pulled the blankets over her. 

Police came, as he suspected, and Tyler told them everything he knew. After that, he changed into cleaner clothing and carried Ollie into a new room that didn't have any blood.

He set her down on a bed and set the rest of the things he'd grabbed on the desk. "They gave us a refund and this room to stay in for a little while."

She nodded and sniffled.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, sitting down next to her.

Ollie shrugged.

He frowned a little. Why wasn't she speaking? Oh, well. He wouldn't force her.

"I'll get you ice cream or whatever else you want in the morning, okay?"

She nodded a bit and took a deep, shuddering breath.

"Let's get some sleep." He picked her up and attempted to lay her down, but she didn't let go of him.

"Ollie, you need to let go so you can lay down," he said gently.

She continued to hold onto him.

"Do you want me to sit with you for a little bit?"

Ollie nodded.

Tyler took his shoes off and sat down next to her. She pulled the covers over the two of them and stayed close to him.

He put an arm around her and rubbed her shoulder with his thumb. He waited for her to fall asleep before laying her down and laying next to her.

Tyler stared up at the ceiling, tears starting to gather. He'd almost died, and Ollie had almost gotten taken. He'd felt the pain of being shot and the wetness of blood against his skin, and had to feel the tear of failure and grief watching Ollie being taken.

He rolled onto his side and kept an arm around her. He tucked her in and stared at the door. No one could get in if he was awake. No one could get hurt. And no one could get taken.

"Stupid spider..." Ollie whispered. "Put down those... those guns..."

Tyler glanced down at her and frowned. 

"Gah," she muttered.

He hugged her gently and rested his chin on the top of her head.

"Teddy bear," she whispered.

Tyler smiled a little and went back to watching the door.

Ollie inhaled a little and stretched a bit. 

"Good morning," Tyler whispered.

"Mmph," she mumbled.

"How'd you sleep?"

"Fine..." She slowly opened her eyes and tiredly gazed at nothing.

"Do you wanna take a rest day?" he asked, keeping his voice quiet.

"Yeah," Ollie murmured.

"Alright. We can do whatever you want today, and get back on the road tomorrow if that's what you want."

"Okay." She closed her eyes again. Tyler rubbed her back with his thumb and pulled some more blankets around her.

"Don't let me sleep too long," she whispered.