Chapter Twenty-One

Years After

"The TCC?" Tyler echoed, furrowing his brow.

"Yes," the man said, showing him a very real-looking badge stamped with some kind of government seal Tyler had never seen before. "Please step out of the vehicle."

"And what if I don't?"

The man did not respond and gazed at him levelly though his sunglasses.

Tyler readjusted his sweaty grip on the steering wheel, an uneasy feeling growing in his gut. "What are you going to do with her?"

"Return her to her father, along with the rest of them."

"Who's them?"

"You wouldn't be able to understand."

Tyler snorted. "Try me."

"I prefer to cease this petty talk. Step out of the vehicle."

"I don't think I want to," Tyler said. "I've never heard of your TCC and I certainly won't give you a child."

"Don't do this, Mr. Evans."

"In case you haven't heard, sir, this place is called America," Tyler said, taking a hand off the steering wheel and gesturing around. "And in America, we can do what we want."

He took his foot off the break and slammed on the gas, whipping the steering wheel to the side. The man stumbled back as Tyler sped away.

Tyler glanced back at Ollie and urged his car to go faster. He ignored the sinking feeling of guilt for running away from some kind of government organization, but his gut was warning him, and his gut had never failed him.

Soon enough, he could see the cars pursuing him. Tyler pursed his lips as he tried to think of what to do.

"What's going on?" asked a tiny, sleepy voice.

Tyler glanced in the rear view mirror. "Nothing. Go back to sleep."

Ollie, apparently oblivious to safety, unbuckled her seatbelt and climbed up to the front. Tyler squeaked and used a hand to grab her arm.

"Go back there!" he exclaimed, trying to focus on the road.

"What's going on?" she cried.

Tyler gritted his teeth and pulled her up to the front. "Sit down, right now."

Ollie sat in the passenger seat, her lower lip trembling.

"Seatbelt." He pressed further down on the gas.

She clipped her seatbelt in and held on tight. "What're you doing?"

"Something to keep you safe."

Ollie turned her gaze to his dashboard. "You're going over the speed limit."

"I know," he said.

"The speed limit is seventy-five."

"I know."

"You're going almost forty miles above the speed limit."

"I know!"

Ollie went quiet. What had she done wrong?

Tyler glanced in his rear view mirror and gripped the steering wheel tighter. I need to get out of here.

"I'm scared."

He looked over at her. "It's going to be okay, kiddo."

She stared at her knees, tears rolling down her cheeks.