august - Regulus

Regulus' POV:

"What?" James huffed out in anger while refusing to meet my eyes.

I leaned down until there was an almost comical height difference between us to try and catch his eye. "Please, just let me talk." I begged.

He crossed his arms and fixed his steely gaze on me, so I stood to my full height again. "Fine." He grunted. Merlin, what a baby. I could see why he and my brother were such good friends.

"I've never needed anything more than how much I need the crisp fall air, and the swing of the portrait at midnight. The first time I snuck in, I remember you whispered, 'Are you sure?' and I'd never been more sure of anything in my life." He huffed so I figured I ought to move on. "I know it's all lost in our memories, and you and I slipped away from me because it was just a moment in time. But when I close my eyes, I still see us twisted in bedsheets. And I used to think I'd lost you, but I know now that you were never mine."

I saw his pissed-off mask falter just a little. "Reg..." he mumbled hopelessly, and I almost felt bad for bringing it up again after he already moved on.

"No, listen to me. I remember the first time I slept over. You were laying on your chest and your back was aglow with the morning sun. I wish I had written my name on you then. When we left for the summer last year, you said you'd find me again as soon as we were back at school, I remember thinking I had you. But what we had is lost in the memory, because I never did have you. Not even back when we were still changing for the better. Pining for you was enough for me, I lived for the hope of it all. I changed my routes just so I could walk past you in between classes. You really called it true love and you said 'us.' But I never fucking had you."

He opened his mouth to say something but I was ready. "I—"

"No. I don't need sorry, I just need to ask, do you remember it? When I pulled you into that empty classroom. Or when I stopped meeting Panda in the library just in case you wanted to hang out? Back when I still had hope for you and I."

"Regulus, listen. I still remember."