Starlight - Regulus

Regulus' POV:

"I met James on the train to Hogwarts in the fall of '72. He found me late one night in the astronomy tower. He was seventeen and crazy, running wild, and I can't remember which star I was looking at when he walked in." I ranted to Pandora one night as she lay with her head in my lap. "But I remember that night he snuck me into a Gryffindor party. Pretended I was some fifth-year who wasn't going. And I said, 'Oh my, what a marvelous tune.' It was the best night of my life and I'll never forget how we moved when we were dancing. We danced like we were made of starlight. I was looking over my shoulder and he said, 'Look at you, worrying so much about things you can't change. You'll spend your whole life being sad if you keep thinking that way.'"

She abruptly sat up. "Oh my! He knows you almost as well as I do!"

"I'm not finished! Shhhhh!" I chided her playfully. "One time, he was trying to skip stones on the water of the lake, and I was sitting on the grass watching him move so perfectly. He was asking me, 'Don't you see the sun shining on the surface? It makes me dream impossible things.' Like, oh my! What a breathtaking man! He is the best thing I've ever had and I'll never forget how I feel. The whole world glows when he's around. He makes me feel like I'm made of starlight."

Pandora gasped and poked my chest while giggling. "Oh my, Reggie's in love!"

"No!" I said, astonished, but I knew I was blushing. "He talks crazy when he's with me! He says we could get married. We'd have a bunch of kids and teach them how to dream." I huffed an incredulous laugh and lay down on the bed.

She swayed with giddiness. "Oh my, James is in love too!" she crooned.

"It's ridiculous." I scoffed. "But, oh my, what a beautiful plan. That would be the best life, and I could forget all my troubles. The whole world shining and dancing. That dream's made of starlight. But it's an impossible dream. And I can't afford to dream impossible things." At this Pandora finally had no comment. She just looked at me sadly and pulled me to her.

That dream was made of starlight.