73 - talk to me

•Mike pov•
•winter of sophomore year•

I pace back and forth, trying to form the perfect words in my head and say them out loud, but nothing comes out. I have so much to say, I just don't know how to make it sound right.

Today is the last day of school before Christmas break, and Will is leaving for vacation tomorrow, so it's the perfect time to tell him how I feel.

I've been in love with him for the past few years, and all the weight of carrying the secret has been really hard on me, so I need to tell him, and if he rejects me, at least I won't have to see him for two weeks until school.

I pack my bag and head to school, and when I get there, Will is waiting by my locker like he is every single day for the past two years.

"Will!" I say, walking quickly to him and resisting the urge to hug him tightly.

"Hi! I'm so happy it's the last day before break." he says, leaning back against the row of blue lockers. I look down at my feet for a second, doing my best not to get too distracted.

"Me too! Do you uh - have time to hang out for a little while after school? I kind of need to talk to you." I say, my head reeling.

"Oh yeah, but is everything okay?" he asks, his cheeks slightly pink.

"Yeah. Everything's good." I say.

The school day feels like it lasts for days, nerves building up in my stomach with each passing minute. Before I know it, will and I are in my basement, and we're both standing awkwardly.

"Mike, come on, you've been weird all day." Will says.

"I - I know. I'm sorry." I say, beginning to pace back and forth again.

"It's fine, I'm just worried." he says softly. I keep pacing, but stop when he grabs my arm.

"Talk to me." he says, our eyes locking.

"I need to tell you something, but I'm really scared you might hate me after I say it." I say, tears almost falling from my eyes.

"Mike, you know I could never hate you." he says, slowly letting go of my arm.

"I think - I think I love you. No - I know I love you. I've loved you for so long. You're so kind to everyone, even when they treat you like shit, and you're so smart a - and cute and I'm sorry if you don't feel the same, but I needed to tell you." I say. He looks completely taken back but what I said, but a small smile forms on his bright red face after a few seconds.

"Mike, of course I love you too. I've been waiting to hear that for my entire life." he says, inching towards me.

"Y - You do?" I stutter. He smiles and interlocks our fingers on one hand, and places the other on the back of my neck. I feel my whole body practically melt.

"I love you more than anything and anyone in the world." he says, pulling my neck a little closer so that our lips our barely touching.

He stands up on his top toes, and I slowly press my lips again his. He pulls me closer and I pull his waist towards me with my free hand, kissing him passionately. I can't help but smile into the kiss as the room around me spins.

The room seems to be still when we finally lean away, him our hands staying in place.

"I - I feel like I'm dreaming." he stutters, his cheeks pink.

"Me too." I say, sitting down on the couch and pulling him next to me. He's practically on me when I wrap my arms around his body, squeezing him tightly.