The Zodiac Monkey

Long ago, before the tales of the Journey to the West...lived the tales of the Zodiacs...

The tale of the Heavenly Gate, the Jade Emperor wanted to select 12 animals as guards for the gates of heaven and sent an immortal to spread the news. The earliest one would be ranked the first, and since the next day, the animals appeared.

The Zodiac relevant is that of ranked 9th of the Zodiacs...

The Monkey...

Widely amongst the community of China, the Monkey is known for giving blessings such as rain and children

Widely amongst the community of China, the Monkey is known for giving blessings such as rain and children. And it is praised by many.

The Monkey, symbolizes cleverness and intellect, so much so that people want their babies to be born in the year of the Monkey, it is also considered 'High official' in traditional Chinese...as many paintings and associations derived from hundreds of years have depicted monkeys such a way. To the point that one has their own Monkey god, a god of protection.

And such praise caught the attention of said Zodiac Monkey, having fallen in love with the world below...the humans. He was fascinated by them and how much love and compassion that they had for their children as he did in his own domain. The Zodiac Monkey, would go on to give these blessings that they asked, playing both guard and god, The Jade Emperor and other Zodiacs payed no attention to this...they merely thought his fascination came from the likeness of humans and how they looked like Monkeys, and that the Zodiac was merely compassionate about the humans in the ground...it still benefited them in the end.

The Zodiac Monkey continued to fall in love with the world...almost imagining himself within it...

Until the day the gods were at war...

Fire, destruction, and chaos filled the Realm as the gods fought for the power that wasn't theirs, the Zodiacs as loyal as they are...protected the Jade Emperor...

But not the Zodiac Monkey...

"Monkey! Where are you going?!" The Rat spoke as the Zodiac Monkey ran off into his domain. "Damn it! All of you fall back, protect the Jade Emperor!" He ordered. "But Monkey!" "That coward can handle his own!" He spat at the Rooster as they fought against the enemy forces...

Little did they know the Jade Emperor's safety did not concern the Zodiac at all...he was fine, he had the other 11 Zodiacs guarding him...no...he was more concerned of his domain.

He arrived in the scene, discovering the makeshift forest burning to the ground, his home crumbling to bits and the lush ponds covered in magma and rocks he searched around calling out to his subjects...his monkey friends, finding a few of them in the rubble he opens a portal for them to safety...he is unsure where it leads but he hopes they're safe...

Until a god came...

Once he had closed the portal a god attacked his domain...

"Well if it isn't one of the Heavenly Zodiacs! How rare of you to come here alone...then again, you were always the peculiar one aren't you Monkey?" They mocked laughing at them as they did. "Such cursed tongue does not belong in the seat of the gods! You will pay for your transgression!" He declared immediately catching the god off-guard as the Monkey attacked, and intense battle was fought between the two gods.