ix. Trouble is coming

ACT ONE. CHAPTER IX:
TROUBLE IS COMING

  CHAPTER IX:TROUBLE IS COMING

BIRNIN ZANA, WAKANDA.
2016, APRIL 12.

"You've been spending a lot of time in your cabin lately. Any new invention in the works?"

Smiling slightly, Sade simply glared at her sister before turning her attention back to the prototype weapon in front of her.

"Perhaps."

Shuri, squinting, looked intently at her older sister hoping to detect a twitch that would give her away, eventually huffing exaggeratedly when she saw her stoic face. She might be curious about what she was up to in her remote corner of the beach, but she would never dare violate her intimacy by inviting herself there without her consent. Then again, maybe she'd get nuked on the stoop with the number of security systems the young princess had installed.

"Okay, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time. But-"

"I don't remember you being this talkative, Minimoy."

"I don't remember you being this secretive, Gollum." Shuri replied immediately, her grin intensifying as she saw the incredulous look on her sister's face when she heard her talk back.

"Just wait, I'll put some sense through you soon."

Casting a false expression of shock and fear, the youngest of the Udaku began to gesture dramatically. "I'm so scared, fear is consuming me so much from the inside that life is draining from me, I-"

"Shut up."

"Rude."

Sade rolled her eyes as she continued to pay attention to the blueprints she had scattered across her table, barely looking up as she heard Shuri snicker as she walked away towards the entrance of the lab. The young woman could barely concentrate, her thoughts all converging on the same person, sparking her frustration. Her mind was just rereading the last few lines of the sheet he had left her, wondering how much of it she should take as true. It wasn't that she didn't believe him, but it was far too easy to write on a piece of paper left at a sleeping person's bedside than to tell them to their face. In a way, that was why she continued to play the game between them, he himself had to make clear whatever he felt about her. As for her, she was perhaps just as confused as he was, having never been confronted with such feelings.

"Thinking about your lover?"

"For fuck sake, what is wrong with all of you? I can't even be happy in this household without people asking me if I'm seeing someone. I don't have a lover." she huffed slightly as she heard T'Challa's voice near her ear, turning to glance at him. Detailing his new clothes, she eventually stifled a scream of horror when she saw his feet. "What are those?"