Chapter 2 ~ Group Therapy

A nurse came into the room.

"Group time!" She said.

"Do I have to?"

"No, but its advised if you want to get out of here." The nurse answered. Larry sighed and got up. He found his way to the group room by following the others who were heading there. He saw Travis sitting down and sat in the seat right next to him. 

"Really?" Travis groaned under his breath. 

"I'm sorry for earlier, dude. Can we just get along?" Larry smiled. Travis blushed at the brunet. 

"Yeah, whatever." Travis looked away to hide his blushing face but Larry had already noticed.

Travis is cute when he blushes. Larry thought. Although he'd be cuter without all those injuries. Larry almost slapped himself. What am I even saying? I can't like Phelps! But he looked back over at the boy next to him and knew he was fucked.

The group leader nurse came in the room. She shushed the talking teens and rolled in a cart of art supplies. 

"So this, right now, is art group. You can use whatever supplies you want to make art." She said and sat down. People started taking art supplies. Larry grabbed a set of paints and a couple pieces of paper. He went back to his seat and noticed that Travis hadn't moved.

"Aren't you going to draw something?" Larry asked.

"I'm not great... at... art." Travis said. Larry sighed. 

"You don't have to be good at it. You just have to have fun with it. Here." Larry gave Travis a piece of paper and opened the paints in between them. "Just take whatever you're feeling and put it on the paper, got it?" Larry said. Travis just nodded and watched how Larry started sketching. Travis couldn't tell what he was trying to draw but it didn't matter, watching Larry draw was intoxicating. Travis noticed that when he concentrated, he stuck his tongue out slightly. 

Larry looked over at Travis who looked away and put his pencil on the paper, just making lines. He realized what he was drawing later: a broken angel, who looked a lot like him. 

He got lost in painting and didn't even hear the nurse tell everyone to put away the art stuff. Larry noticed that Travis wasn't paying attention as Larry put away the paints. He tapped him on the shoulder. Travis jumped when he felt the tap, which startled Larry. 

"Woah, dude. It's just me." Larry said, putting his hands up in a surrender position. Travis muttered an apology. "It's all good, art therapy is over so we have to put the art supplies away. Can I see what you were working on?" Travis snatched his painting, carefully, since it was still wet. 

"No." Travis said. He then left the room, presumably to go back to their room. Larry sighed, and grabbed his own painting and stood up. 

He didn't know why he was becoming so obsessed with Travis, of all people. It was like something was drawing him in. But why TRAVIS PHELPS?!

Maybe it was because Travis was acting so weirdly calm. Or maybe it was because he'd never seen him in a place like this before. Or maybe he was just curious about why he looked so beat up and why that scar on his neck was there. Or maybe it was the fact that Larry had a crush on Travis in middle school, and no matter how well he thought he had smothered it, it hadn't really gone away. 

But it couldn't be that last one, right?

Larry looked down at his painting. He had drawn Travis laying on a bean bag chair in his room, and himself hovering over him. Travis probably would freak out at Larry if he knew what he had been drawing. It was, after all, very gay. But Larry just smiled at it. 

There had to be something sacrilegious about imagining yourself in that position with the pastor's son, but Larry less than cared. 

He walked back to his temporary room to put the painting somewhere to dry. When he got there, it was empty. Travis wasn't there. He placed his painting in his desk drawer, where Travis couldn't see it. He briefly wondered if Travis dropped off his painting and where he put it. But before he could make a move to look for it, Travis came in. He wasn't holding his painting, so he had to have put it away somewhere.

"Hey." Larry said.

"Hey." Travis returned the greeting. He sat on his bed and Larry sat on his own. They sat in silence for a little bit. Travis was looking at the cover of his bible as if he would be struck down by God himself if he looked anywhere else. Larry was just staring at Travis. 

They literally sat like that for 2 hours. Larry wondered if Travis could feel him staring but Travis hadn't said anything about it, or even moved. 

Their silence was broken by a nurse yelling out 'snack!' outside of their room. Larry got up but Travis didn't move. 

"Aren't you going to come get a snack?" Larry asked. Travis shook his head in response. 

"I'm not hungry. I'm going to take a nap." Travis said, laying down but not bothering to get under the blanket. Larry frowned, he had noticed how Travis barely ate anything at lunch, how could he not be hungry? But he said nothing and left the room.

He walked over to the nurse, a dude this time, who was giving out the snacks. He sat down and watched as several groups of teens mingled around, eating their snacks.

The rest of the day, Larry stayed in the common area and drew and Travis stayed in his room, only leaving to push around his food at dinner and escape back into his room.

It was now bed time. Larry had ventured back into the room. Travis was once again sitting on the windowsill, staring at his bible with blank eyes. They got ready for bed in a comfortable silence. Travis sat on his bed, on top of the blanket, his bible on the nightstand. Larry turned off the light and laid down under his blanket.