Keating's Triumph

Mr. Keating had just sat down to a nice cup of tea when a knock at the door intruded his space. 

"It's open," he called, and the door clicked open.

Neil stood in the doorway, hands in his pockets. He looked agitated, far-off, as though he wasn't entirely present.

"Can we talk?" he asked. Keating tried to read his eyes, but Neil looked at the floor. 

"Of course, my boy. Come take a seat."

Neil did as he was told, all the while staring down at the floor. Almost ashamedly. 

"Can I get you some tea?"

"No, thank you."

"Alright. What's on your mind?"

Keating took his seat and gazed at the boy. No matter how welcoming, how compassionate Keating tried to come across, Neil seemed on edge. Like the lightest noise might cause him to run away.

"I...I'm having a problem. With a person. Not a bad problem, well maybe? I mean...I'm having this feeling around them and I don't know what it means." It was unlike Neil to stutter, something must've been wrong.

"Interesting. Could you describe this feeling?" Gears were turning in Keating's head. Where was Neil going with this?

Neil hesitated, false-starting his sentence several times before finally collecting himself and speaking deliberately. "Whenever I'm around them, I feel super nervous, like I'm making a first impression over and over again. But I also feel safe and happy and excited more than anything. It's all so strange, like every feeling rolled into one."

Keating leaned back in his chair, the faintest smile haunting his face. "That, to me," he said, "sounds like you're in love."

Neil's reaction didn't match Keating's expectations. He seemed to tense, as though those words were a slap in the face. He took on a stare like a deer in headlights: deathly afraid but frozen in place.

Keating did his best to fill the silence. "Mr. Perry, I am honored you feel safe in coming to me to talk about this. But perhaps you'd feel more comfortable with your father in discussing-"

"No, that's not it," it came off more forceful than Neil had intended. "I mean, sorry, I'd prefer to keep my father out of this, if that's okay. I just...I'm just thinking."

"Take all the time you need," Keating replied, sipping his tea. 

A minute later, Neil broke the silence once again. "Captain, I can't be in love. Not with...them." He smiled awkwardly, trying to break the somber mood.

Keating stared at him, expression soft and mentorlike. "What do you mean by that?"

"Cap, can a boy fall in love with a boy?"

That was most definitely not what Keating was expecting. He tried to reply intelligently. "I think that in matters of love, anything is possible."

"But it's wrong!"

"Who said it was wrong?"

Neil hesitated. "God."

Keating sipped his tea, shaking his head. "If you truly believe that, then you must also believe that God put that love on your heart, and He wouldn't do that if it were wrong."

Neil seemed to consider this, and visibly relaxed just a little. But he wasn't done. "But everyone else says it's wrong. They say it's disgusting."

"Love? Disgusting? Mr. Perry, if you truly feel love for another person, that is a beautiful thing, regardless of who that person is. And if the world can't see that, then I pity them; they will never find happiness in the most fundamental human attachment."

Neil smiled, and met Keating's eyes. "Thanks, Cap."

"As I said, it was an honor. Feel free to stop by whenever you want to talk."

Neil got up to leave. 

"Oh, Mr. Perry! One more thing!"

Neil froze, whipping around to find Mr. Keating grinning slyly.

"Send my regards to Mr. Anderson."

Neil's eye's widened, but Keating only chuckled at his reaction. "You knew?" Neil asked, jaw agape.

"You aren't exactly subtle, Mr. Perry."