Trajectory

Todd didn't wear blue. It wasn't a rule, if it was then he wouldn't have a blue jumper collecting dust somewhere in the back of his closet. It was more of a guideline. 

Wearing it made him feel like the dead brother in a coming-of-age movie. Sprawled in a field of matching flowers so someone, be it the mourning parent or the audience, could come to terms with him. This was a fate he wished to avoid, so he wore his grey Welton sweatshirt or red turtleneck, safe colours that were not blue. Not soft. Not weak.

Blue was the sky in the summer, hiding behind a pane of glass as Todd sat in his room, longing with all of his heart to break free and take flight. But the mounds of dirt seemed to form themselves when he played outside, and his mother did not approve of the thin layer of grime he tracked in on his pretty white tennis shoes, so Todd did not play outside.

Blue was Jeffery's astronomy book, at least the one he let Todd borrow. Todd would watch from his window as his father took Jeff out to look at the constellations, point out the intricacies of each formation, carefully woven by the hands of God. Todd always knew Jeffrey would be an astronaut. He was so great, wasn't he?

Blue was the ballpoint pen scratching furiously on the uncompleted essay. All it takes is one week of the stomach flu for your life to fall apart, it seemed, and work was piling up, a burden as heavy as a boulder. Todd had to work harder, be better, though nothing ever seemed like it was enough. Blue was the smears of ink ruining his essay as he broke his pen in frustration. Blue was the sadness that came with it and the tears wept because of it. 

Blue was also the only colour left in his wardrobe, and as Todd waited for his laundry to be done he didn't have much of a choice. 

He dusted off the blue sweater and pulled it over his head begrudgingly just as Neil walked in. 

"Oh, hey, is that new?"

Todd was caught off guard. "No, um...it was in the back of my closet."

Neil shrugged. "It looks nice, you should wear it more often. Blue is your colour."

Todd blushed a smile as Neil went on his way as if the entire world hadn't just shifted. 

Blue was the summer sky and an astronomy book and a ballpoint pen. 

But to Neil, blue was Todd's eyes. That light, vibrant colour that draws you in and keeps you there, like a kelpie or some other creature. Blue like the lake at dawn.

The next day, Todd wore blue again.