Angel

Mild TW for hate crimes.

Todd didn't know if the man was his guardian angel. Angels don't beat people up.

But maybe his angel did. He certainly seemed like an angel, coming to Todd's rescue like that.

The 70s was a hard time for gay men. But after months of building up the courage, Todd was finally going to make his move. 

The cute barista at the coffee shop. Todd had been crushing on him for months, he of the dark hair and kind smile. He'd always been particularly gracious to Todd, and had managed to worm his way into Todd's heart and stay there. He didn't know his name, but he was going to ask him out.

Big mistake.

Todd didn't know why the barista wanted to meet in the alley. He didn't understand his look of disgust until he felt the first punch crack against his temple.

Todd fell to the ground, pain radiating off the side of his head so intensely that at first, he didn't feel the kicks to his side. 

Until he did. 

It was all happening so quickly. There had been hope, anticipation, betrayal, hurt, all gathered up into a disgusting ball of dread. The barista continued to beat him, long after Todd stopped trying to get away.

He was getting dizzier, the pain fading into a dull hum as another thought took over his mind. Oh my God, Todd thought. He's actually going to kill me

The barista was screaming at Todd, and Todd tried to huddle in a ball, to protect his face, use his back as a shield, anything to lessen the damage.

Right here in this alley. I'm going to die.

"Hey, what the hell are you doing?!" A voice rang out, clear and powerful.

Todd turned his head and saw the man, fluffy brown hair and a green jacket to protect him from the autumn chill. 

The attacker said something Todd couldn't quite make out.

Whatever it was, it set the man off, because the next thing Todd knew, the barista landed on the ground beside him. 

Todd looked over at the blood gushing from his broken nose as he scrambled to his feet. 

"Get the hell out of here," the man spat, voice laced thick with venom.

The barista ran.

Todd was still gaining his bearings when he felt someone kneel down beside him, and sat up. The man was right there, here in front of his face. And Todd didn't know if it was the adrenaline or what but dear god, he was beautiful.

"Oh my, you're bleeding," he said, all anger in his voice replaced with concern. 

Todd reached up to his temple, and watched his fingers come away bloody. "Yeah, I-I guess I am."

"Here," said Todd's guardian angel, and fished around in his pocket for a handkerchief. Then, with a feather-light touch, pressed the cloth against Todd's temple, patting away the blood.

Todd watched him work in awe.

"I'm Neil, by the way," the man said.

"T-Todd, nice to meet you."

Neil laughed. "I wish we could be meeting under better circumstances. Does it hurt very bad?"

"No, it's fine..."

"Well it's certainly not fine. Do you have a car? Do you want me to drive you to the emergency room?"

Todd winced as the cloth hit a tender spot. "No, I'll be okay."

Neil pulled the cloth away, examining the wound. "Hmm...it doesn't look too bad, but you'll have a nasty bruise."

Todd shrugged. 

"Alright, well, here's my number," Neil took out a pen from his pocket and wrote on the back of Todd's hand. Todd tried not to show that his heart was racing. And was it strange to be surprised that Neil's hands were so soft? "Call me if you need anything at all. A warm meal, someone to keep you company...?"

Todd smiled at him, hoping he was implying what he thought he was implying. "Okay, yeah. Sounds good. Thank you, Neil."

"Don't mention it."

He must've been an angel. Because he disappeared as quickly as he came, and left Todd feeling like everything was right in the world.