Chapter 9- risorsa

A heavy wind began to shake the walls of the abandoned hospital. Narancia felt a shiver down his spine, wrapping a blanket around himself as he hid within the corner.

"We can't stay in here forever, Narancia. We are going to have to eventually go out and get resources. There's not really that much food here, at all," The long haired man grabs an empty backpack off of the shelf, packing some blankets and water bottles within it.

"Yeah... I have to say though, can I really trust you?" Narancia frowns, throwing a backpack over his shoulders and trails behind the long haired man.

"...Narancia. Do you know how dangerous it is out there?" Diavolo questions, looking to Narancia with a look almost as cold as ice itself.

"Well, I-" The black haired boy is suddenly shoved aside by the taller man.

"Look at you and how ugly you have become. You can hardly open one of your eyes, you are missing an arm, and not to mention how deformed you are!" The fuschia haired man growls.

"Deformed and ugly...?" Narancia runs over to a stream and stares at himself in the reflection.

"Hey, what the hell did you just say to me?!" Is what he would have said.

But he didn't. He now felt defeated and his expression deflated.

"I am your only friend now and your only defender as well," Diavolo's emerald eyes narrow as he stares into the smaller boy's soul.

Narancia did not speak another word as he trailed behind the mafia boss, staring at the ground with his eyes faced down. He sniffled every now and then, thinking of what he used to look like compared to what he knew now.

"Don't tell me you are crying. Are you really going to waste your tears on something as feeble as words?" Diavolo turns his head towards Narancia.

"Why... Why would you embrace me like that and cry with me the entire night? And then the next morning, you are a total ass to me!" Narancia sniffles, wiping his tears. He misses the warm embrace that Bucciarati brought him, and how he'd wipe his tears away while telling the smaller boy that he loved him as a son.

"What have you just said to me?!" The fuschia haired man approaches Narancia with an angered look in his eyes, his face seemingly turning a light shade of red. "...Apologize if you know what is good for you," He growls.

"I...," The black haired boy thinks about his situation. He seems to be angered for a moment before looking saddened, biting his tongue to prevent him from saying anything else. "I... Apologize," His eyes drop and he sniffles.

"Good," Diavolo scoffs, patting the boy on the head lightly. "I knew you'd come around," He starts walking again, looking for any form of something that would be edible.

"I... I sometimes wonder if a world as cruel as this could be real. Do you think that it is?" Narancia frowns as he tries to ignore the throbbing pain throughout his body.

"Reality is what you make it. If you question the state of your existence and whether you are real or not, it is you who decides that. You are as real as you want to be. It is I who look upon you and give you advice, boy. Now do you think that I am real?" The taller man questions.

"...Well, yes. I can touch you, see you, and hear you. So I believe that you are real," Narancia nods his head.

"Now, you can also touch, see, and hear yourself. Do you think that you are real?" He has a certain deepness to his voice that is comforting, yet disturbing at the same time. Narancia isn't sure if he is friend or foe.

"...I don't know. I don't want to believe that I am real because of the amount of pain that I have gone through. I don't want it to be real at all," The spiky haired ravenette shakes his head in denial.

"Then don't believe it to be. Believe me my boy, once you have gone through an amount of pain significant enough to the pain where you snap; It does not feel real anymore," Diavolo shakes his head as well, wringing out a towel that was used to clean Narancia's wounds in a clean stream.

"...What do you mean? What kind of pain have you gone through to feel something like that? To be able to tell me these things, you have obviously had to-" He is suddenly cut off.

"SILENCE, BOY!" Diavolo yells loudly, his pupils practically shrinking in size as he sways his head towards the smaller boy.

The yell was loud enough to send shivers down Narancia's spine and all of the way down to his feet. He freezes in place and seems to look horrified.

The two share a moment of silence together before the fuschia haired man decides to speak again.

"...I apologize for yelling at you," Diavolo whispers. "There are some things that you should not ask people. Those questions could really irritate them in a way that they react poorly to your question. Biting your tongue may be of the best choice for you," He sighs, trailing ahead until he finds a graveyard. "Do you see this, Narancia?"

"Yes," The black haired boy nods his head. "It's a graveyard. What's special about it?" Narancia follows behind him, a cooling breeze running through their hair.

"...Dig up the graves," Diavolo's tone of voice is dark and demanding.

Narancia gasps, his eyes widening. "You want me to...-?" Again, he gets cut off by the mafia boss.

"Yes! Their bodies mean nothing to the earth anymore. They may have belongings that we can reuse and repurpose to survive. They do not mean anything anymore," Diavolo shakes his head, grabbing a large piece of wood and begins to dig up some graves. He continues to do this, grabbing things such as car keys, watches, and wallets.

Narancia sits there and watches in awe.

He loves Diavolo, his master.

Not because of the things he does.

But because he is the only thing that Narancia can love anymore.