The Field

Hey!! Since the chapters are going to be a little bit shorter, well a lot shorter, I'll probably post more than one in a day:) just to let you know!! - blownaway81

Chapter Two

I sat up and turned off my IPod. I was in the field just off the highway that connected our town of Pearle Grove from the array of other seaside towns in the area. The place was a popular destination for groups of people to have parties, drink and smoke without their parents knowing or for couples to go on “romantic” dates and do God knows what. I liked The Field- that’s what everyone called it and had called it for years- because it was an amazing place to think. You could hear and smell the ocean, but you couldn’t see it. I checked my watch. 3:15. I cursed under my breath. My mother would be calling in promptly fifteen minutes to check on me, and I had left my cell phone at home. If I did not answer, all hell would break loose.  I plugged in my headphones and mounted my bike, leaving my sanctuary.

    I rode through the town of Pearle Grove, where I had lived all my life. It was just like any other South Carolina beach town, with the assortment of small tourist shops, boutiques, and restaurants. Along the residential streets closer to the beach were condos and rental houses, most painted in weather- worn colors. Closer in, were the typical houses, such as mine. The house that I lived in with my mother was a run-of the-mill yellow house. Nothing special, nothing spectacular, just home.