In the Jeep Again

In the Jeep Again

 It was still warm outside, but there was a slight breeze in the air making me pull my sweatshirt closer to my body. I felt a slight thrill at the idea of sneaking out, something I had never done before. I crept through the yard, careful not to get caught in the glow of the streetlights.  I jogged as silently as I could towards the end of the street. When I reached the street sign, I leaned against it and waited.

  In about a minute, I spotted a pair of headlights pulling towards me. I ducked into the shadow beside the streetlight. My heart was racing. If it was a police officer, or even someone we knew, they would question what I was doing and make me go home. Thankfully, the familiar blue jeep slowed to a stop at the end of the street. I practically sprinted to where Tyler was sitting, and scrambled into his car.

      He chuckled from the driver’s seat, and said

“Scared?”

I scoffed. “Not at all.”

He glanced over at me and gave me a skeptic look. I was glad that it was pretty dark; otherwise Tyler would have seen me turn red.

“Maybe just a little”

Tyler smirked, but kept on driving. We passed the park and the high school. We drove down the deserted main street. Cities like West Shores or Myrtle Beach had night life until around 2:00, and it was 11:15 now.

“Tyler, where exactly are we going?” I asked.

“Patience, dear one and you will see.” He replied in a sing-song tone.

I settled down into the seat, and watched the dark town of Pearle Grove pass by.  We turned onto a deserted two-lane road.

“Tyler, where is this?” I asked.

Suddenly, it dawned on me that I had only known the boy for a day, really only twelve hours. He could take me anywhere, and I might never been seen again. But, something deep inside me told me I could trust Tyler Logan.