Milkshakes and Piers

After lunch, we left the Jeep at the Handell’s parking lot and walked the boardwalk for a while, with chocolate milkshakes in hand. The Pearle Grove Boardwalk wasn’t like the one in West Shores or Myrtle Beach, with shops and restaurants and midway rides. It was a narrow plywood walkway, with benches spaced out every so often and stairs leading out to the beach. At the end of the boardwalk was the fishing pier. The pier was quiet with fishermen on either side casting out into the waves, hoping for a catch.

   The pier was where we were sitting finishing off our milkshakes when my mother called.

“Hello”

“Is everything alright?” She asked.

“Yes, Mom, everything is fine.”

“Where are you?”

“At the pier.”

“Are you by yourself?” She asked, she was always worried about something.

“No, Mom, I’m with a friend.” I replied.

“Who?”

“A guy I met, he just moved here. He’s going to my school in the fall.” I replied, hoping she wouldn’t question too much.

“Well as long as you’re home by five, I suppose it is alright.”

I sighed. “Bye Mom, “

“Bye Kassidy. Be home by five.” She hung up the phone.

I slid my phone back into my pocket and looked up to see Tyler gazing expectantly at me.

“Are you Ok?” I asked.

“Let me guess, that was your mother.” He said.

“You, my friend are correct.  You are so smart.”

“Hey, you called me your friend.” He said, almost wonderstruck

“Of course, you dimwit, if you weren’t my friend, I wouldn’t have spent my entire morning with you, or let you take me to lunch.”

“Point taken.” We sat in a comfortable silence for a while, watching the fisherman and passersby on the pier.  After about ten minutes, I stood up and checked my watch.

“It’s almost five. Mom wants me home by then.”

We tossed our empty cups into the trash can on the way off the pier. We retraced our route from the boardwalk to Handell’s. We made our way out of the parking lot. The music had never seemed clearer and more beautiful; the sky had never seemed bluer. Life had never seemed brighter until this day.